VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this happen? The rubber coating on the interior drivers, or for that matter, any door handle is begininng to peel off. It is kinda annoying. How hard is it to replace the door handle, what is the price and is there an online plae I could purchase a new one?

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
I'm looking at getting a 337 edition handle, which is aluminum. Yes, mine does the same thing ('02 GTI)

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Re: (groggory)

yea this happened to everyone. best bet is to get the aluminum ones so you never have to replace them. thats what im planning on doing.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Re: (ultimate steve)

Quote, originally posted by ultimate steve »
yea this happened to everyone. best bet is to get the aluminum ones so you never have to replace them. thats what im planning on doing.

I'm going the same route... two MKIVs... both peeled off...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Interior Driver's Door Handle rubber coming off (Bham_Wolfie)

Preciate it. I will see what my dealer can do or ge the aluminum ones. It is just annoying.

·
Registered
42,789 Posts

None of mine have peeled in 30k miles and 25 months. There are a few very small knicks in the two front handles, but nothing that is peeling. I've been very gentle with the handles because I know they peel easily.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Re: Interior Driver's Door Handle rubber coming off (BRM10984)

Quote, originally posted by BRM10984 »
None of mine have peeled in 30k miles and 25 months. There are a few very small knicks in the two front handles, but nothing that is peeling. I've been very gentle with the handles because I know they peel easily.

I'm convinced that the coating reacts with interior dressings. I've noticed this with my serious intuitive detective skills.

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
Re: Interior Driver's Door Handle rubber coming off (I3oxrocket)

hmmm, that makes sense.
Quote, originally posted by I3oxrocket »
I'm convinced that the coating reacts with interior dressings. I've noticed this with my serious intuitive detective skills.

I definetely am big on car care. And another guy mentioned it reacts to women's lotions and such. Wish VW woulda thought about this before they used rubber where we put our hands everyday.
Oh well...Al for us.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Im pretty sure that oil based products are bad for it..it breaks down the rubber..mine looks like the day it did when i bought it...I never put anything on it.

·
Registered
408 Posts

I haven't replaced my door pulls (handles), but like others in this post they do have nicks.
Be careful of the vinyl coating on your parking brake handle too. Mine started peeling off and rather replace it with another of the same design, I upgraded to the leather version. Now I don't have to worry about replacing it once a year when the finish starts to peel off.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

I had that happen a while back. I went to my local VW dealer and ordered the parts. They only took 2 minutes to replace. If I remeber correctly, they were only 2 screws!
I didnt go with the aluminum handles, because then they wouldnt match the rest of the car interior.
Good Luck....

·
Registered
13,711 Posts
I just noticed that the wear is most likely abrasion related. Right where mine is wearing off, that's where my watch band is when i'm resting my arm on the rest.
The rubber can't stand prolonged abrasion.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Re: (groggory)

I guess I'm confused as to what we're talking about. Are we talking about the handles you pull to open the door? Or are we talking about the molded handles you use to pull the door shut?
If we're talking about the latter, then I am having the same problem...mine are peeling, too.
So.....there are replacements available? Where does one get such a thing and what exactly would one call it?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Re: (dubdubgirl)

I had mine replaced (in warranty) for the same problem. I also had the steering wheel replaced in warranty because the leather started peeling off

The door handle pull started peeling after they had replaced my window regulators 7 times and had put some scratches on the handle taking it on and off so many times.
I only had trouble with my driver's side door pull.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Re: (dubdubgirl)

Quote, originally posted by dubdubgirl »
I guess I'm confused as to what we're talking about. Are we talking about the handles you pull to open the door? Or are we talking about the molded handles you use to pull the door shut?
If we're talking about the latter, then I am having the same problem...mine are peeling, too.
So.....there are replacements available? Where does one get such a thing and what exactly would one call it?

almost all your interior pieces have this "soft touch" coating on them. It sucks, Obviously. Interior door pulls, trunk/gas switch bezel, or whatever you call it, almost your complete center console, cup holder above the stereo., and probably a hand full of others.
the only way to eradicate the problem is this--
1. have them replaced and NEVER touch them or clean them with anything but water.
2. Replace them with a diff material. (alum, CF or other)
3. have them Painted, which is what I did.
IMO, the 2nd and 3rd one looks better anyhow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts