VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some major problems with the interior roof fabric ,the fabric totally seperated from the cardbord i removed the cardboard and used some kind of spray glue to stick the fabric back on .Once i installed it back on it lasted for a couple of days and fell off again. I,ve gone to the dealer and they tell me that the part has been discontinued. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you fix it
or replace it

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Re: Interior roof problem (1984-rabbit)

your headliner has seperated. the foam insulation that was impregnated w/ glue and the fabric lost adhesion. to get it to "work" again you need to remove the remaining foam on the headliner board then reapply the proper fabric. pretty much any auto upholstery shop will do this job for around 120 give or take.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Re: Interior roof problem (1984-rabbit)

This is what I tell anyone who will listen about fixing headliners:
Forget the stupid cardboard headliner altogether. Go to the wrecking yard and find an early (pre 1981) rabbit and pull the headliner and steel bows out of it. The headliner is to use as a pattern to make a new one, and the metal bows are to support it once you reinstall the new vinyl headliner. All Rabbits have the sockets in the roof area over the doors and windows to accept these bows.
The vinyl headliners look waaay better when they are finished, and you'll never have to worry about the glue letting go and having fabric dragging on your head again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.