VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll admit that I pefer the look of a MkV 3 door, but I have a question about the accessibility and interior space differences between the 3 door and 5 door body styles.
At 6'-5" and 215 lb's I find that getting in and out of most compact 5 door cars to be a real problem. The shorter doors and limited drivers seat travel once inside make a much less comfortable experience. The shorter doors also place the post closer to my ear, and restrict that nice open window, arm out-the-door, stop yacking and listen to the exhaust note experience. My 2002 GTi VR6 3 door has an adequate, but not excess amount of leg room, as did the 3 door MkV GTi that I test drove, but I am quite concerend about the ergonomics of a 5 door MkV for taller people. Also, how does rear seating differ, in a MkV a 5 door one everyone gets in? The extra two doors would probably help with loading and access for the dog, but at what cost to my comfort. Our other car is a Mini Cooper, with so much seat travel that I can't put the seat all of the way back! Is the drivers seat travel restricted in a 5 door MKV vs the 3 door?
Any thoughts on these ergonomic issues for us taller chaps. The 5 door MkV Golf is not in the US yet for a test drive, so perhaps some taller folks from around the world could weigh in.
I have also note that power seats are offered in some countries on the MkV. Does VW include a memory control ? My wife is 5'-1" so switching between cars is a real pain without at leat two memory settings.

·
Banned
53,531 Posts
Re: Interior Space in 3 door vs. 5 door R32/36 (zootpix)

Quote, originally posted by zootpix »
I find that getting in and out of most compact 5 door cars to be a real problem. The shorter doors and limited drivers seat travel once inside make a much less comfortable experience. The shorter doors also place the post closer to my ear, and restrict that nice open window, arm out-the-door, stop yacking and listen to the exhaust note experience.

Not sure you are being fair.
The seat travel is no shorter in a 5 door than a 3 door.
The 5 door door length is plenty long for easy access even with the seat all the way back. Unless you use a vwery unusual entry procedure.
Overall, the access of the 5 door is better due to the shorter doors.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Interior Space in 3 door vs. 5 door R32/36 (GTINC)

Perhaps you misunderstood my question. is the drivers leg (and headroom) any better in a 3 door vs. a 5 door ? If the seat track is the same, I assume that the inetrior space would be equal. The shorter door does place the B? pillar more forward on some cars. I find this pillar to be akward in my perifial (sp?) vision.
THnks for your advice.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Re: Interior Space in 3 door vs. 5 door R32/36 (zootpix)

The Recaro seat option will make it less room for the backseat passenger. As the Recaro seat is thicker and heavier than the original seat!
I think if you get the R32 the leg room is the same in a 5 door or a 3 door. Just make sure you dont get the thicker Recaro seat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.