VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having a problem when driving in reverse. At times, (not every time I drive in reverse) when I brake to stop the car, it won't brake right away. I press all the way down on the brake and it's like it is somewhat working but not all the way, and then I will come to a stop eventually.
I took the car to a mechanic who said my Rotors were warped in the back and that I needed to replace both the rotors and brake pads. I also had a friend, who is a mechanic, look at it and he thinks that I have about a year left on the pads and couldn't tell if the rotors were warped at all.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas??
Thanks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: Intermittent Braking Problem while in Reverse (jmckenna37)

Sounds like you need new brake pads. at the least. They don't cost that much and a car that won't stop is a lot worse than one that won't go. The rears wear out before the fronts on these cars, so I'm thinking your rears are in pretty bad shape. Get em fixed, their time has come.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Intermittent Braking Problem while in Reverse (JMeyers)

Yes, I'm going to replace the brake pads, even though they still have quite a bit left of them... Any ideas as to why this problem does not occur every time I'm braking in reverse or why it only happens while driving in reverse and not while I'm driving forward?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Re: Intermittent Braking Problem while in Reverse (jmckenna37)

I don't know why you have an intermittent problem. One mechanic said you had warped rear rotors, but I'd like to know if he actually did a runout measurement or just sees all rotors as warped. If we discount what he said, then it doesn't sound as if you need pads at all. A little bit of pad works as well as lots of pad (until the rivets hit the rotor, anyway.) If the rotors really are warped, it can cause problems, but never heard of an intermittent one.
Were it my car, I'd pull the the calipers and give them a good inspection. The pads may have shifted somehow, espcially the ones behind the rotor that you can't see through the wheel. Sometimes you just can't see brake problems without taking things apart.
Some other related thoughts:
Do you use your parking brake? Setting the brake activates the adjusters for the rear. Try setting it firmly a few times and see if anything changes.
You might want to try rebedding your pads. Get up to 60 a few times and slow to 10 then go up to 60 again. This will really heat the brakes and burn off any contaminants. Then, drive around normally for at least 10 more minutes without breaking to a stop to let them cool to normal.
If you have ABS, it might be worthwhile to see if any codes exist in your ABS module.
If you've never had your fluid flushed, you really should have that done every 2 years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Intermittent Braking Problem while in Reverse (JMeyers)

Thanks for the suggestions- I'll give them a shot. I know I am due for a brake fluid flush as well and will do that also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been having a problem when driving in reverse. At times, (not every time I drive in reverse) when I brake to stop the car, it won't brake right away. I press all the way down on the brake and it's like it is somewhat working but not all the way, and then I will come to a stop eventually.
I took the car to a mechanic who said my Rotors were warped in the back and that I needed to replace both the rotors and brake pads. I also had a friend, who is a mechanic, look at it and he thinks that I have about a year left on the pads and couldn't tell if the rotors were warped at all.
Any thoughts? Suggestions? Ideas??
Thanks!
I'm currently having the same problem.Will let you know if I find anything out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts