VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there; I am new to the forum and was looking for some advice. I have a 2013 VW Jetta that sometimes decides not to start, just cranking the starter and not turning over. I figured I would post here before doing any digging, but it usually starts first try and once it does it runs just fine. When it won't start I can get it started by spraying a little starter fluid down the intake, giving it a little gas and laying on the starter. My initial thought is either the starter or starter solenoid is failing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
sounds like the solenoid, you'll need a whole new starter though, I don't think you can service just the solenoid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So today it started up just fine like it usually does. Is it as simple as just replacing the whole starter cuz it's tired or did something cause it to go out that I need to look into???

·
Registered
230 Posts
sorry i've just realized you've got 2 conflicting things here, you said it cranks but won't turn over, I took that to mean the starter is cranking but the engine is not turning over, but what you mean is its not turning on, right? because then you said you can get it to start with some starting fluid and laying on the starter, but the engine would only turn on if the starter was turning the engine, ya dig?

anyways that means the starter is still turning the engine. does it sound weird while cranking? does it crank very slowly or quickly when its not working?

i'm thinking it could be fuel pump priming relay, on my 2.0 there are 2 fuel pump relays, one for prime and one for running. If the pump isn't priming the system before you start it may not go off until the car is running, hence the starter fluid and holding the gas open.

also at this point knowing what engine+trans I am dealing with would help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts