VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My intermittint feature on the window wipers seems to be stuck on just one 9 second delay. Regardless of where I put the delay selector switch. I thought it may be related to the wiper motor itself. 4 or so years ago the intermittent feature totally stopped working and when I replace the motor it returned. So I thought it may be related again. It is relatively easy to replace and not too expensive. So I took that approach and it did not solve the problem. So where should I look next? Any ideas? I dont have a VAG COM. I would love some assistance if someone is in the area of the NH Seacoast or NE MASS. Lacking that benefit, Where do folks think I should look? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
if it is any jetta that is 2001 and earlier, the pre-canbus days... just about any USB Dongle that is $8 would work with vcds-lite.

I can't comment on the wiper other than the variable resistor on the stalk controls the timing, one end of the variable resistor goes to ground on the cluster the other one goes to that relay or module... maybe probe and verify ?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it is a 99.5 Jetta. Can you tell me more about the VCDS-Lite?

I will have to find a youtube video to see if anyone has anything about trouble shooting this. I looked at removing the stock a while a go and it is pretty darn involved. At leaset compared to other cars I have done this on. That is why I was resistant to first go there.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
VCDS-Lite is just a freeware version from Ross-tech... it has limitation as freeware, and you can only read some functions, plus the ODBII clear code, but not set or programs... unless your version is registered or.... Once registered / activated, it behave almost like the full version of vcds, except it only works on certain model cars pre-canbus. Also the magic label files might be missing a few but otherwise it's "like" vcds once activated.

as far as your wiper, I remember a few threads, maybe that was yours??? earlier last year I think, but not sure.

basically this is all mechanical and electrical so you'll have to exercise that digital multi meter... and verify if the potentiometer or that slide works and the wiring is not broken (E38 in your bently, it integrated into the stalk)... Not too sure how to check that windshield wiper intermediate relay module J31. E22 is your stalk with all the switches.... your bently Page 97-62

Mechanically, you are suppose to check if the motor works, basically it has two speed plus other stop wires... so , you'll have to find the 3 wire for the motors. 2 speed + ground.

Also check the wiper transmission and see if it is seized,

check the two wiper transmission linkage is seized .

There is an old article here to help you along.. it's just 5 bolts/nuts to take off..if you count the two nuts that held the wiper then 7... but putting back properly would require the transmission set at certain position. My wiper transmission seized so.... YMMV. Page 92-5 of your bently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.