VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. Figured i'd start my own thread introducing our new car. I'm calling her Mrs. Tigglesworth. I'll use this to post updates etc from now on. Just picked up a 2013 SEL Pepper Gray Tiguan. Love it so far! Tried so many SUV's for about 2 months and these just felt solid compaired to the rest. Great overall package. Fingers crossed we dont' run into any issues. Sold our TDI Jetta an hour after. Adios gas mileage. (eek) I haven't told the wife yet but i'm chip'n this thing whenever i find more money. ;)

Mods planned
3M Front end protector
Aspherical Mirror Set
3M door side protectors (DONE)
Debadge (DONE)
25mm H&R Spacers (all wheels)
Fogs and Headlight film protection

Potential Mods (eventually wifes car so gotta save money for MY car)
APR Chip
Carbonio Stage 1 Intake
Side Markers Tinted or Color Matched
H&R Springs
R-Line Aluminum pedals

Now for obligatory pics etc...

Lastly the old with the New....

Looking forward to not lurking anymore!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year Jetta TDI did you sell and why? I'm comparing Jetta TDI vs. a 2WD Tiguan and can't decide which way to go.
It was a 2000, 110K miles on it so super low miles. We sold it only because we're expecting and wanted a bigger car for the future. Also it was having some transmission problems so we figured we'd rather not deal with that and the baby issues in the future (ie bending over to put them in, stuff like that). It was an automatic tranny btw. It's a solid car though if your looking for something with less space, and killer gas mileage. Just have to figure out what your priorities are I guess. :) We would've kept it and dealt with the transmission if we weren't expecting. That thing would've and will last for another 200k miles easy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Congrats on the new ride and baby! :thumbup: now to update the avatar :)

oh and if you ever wanna part with those wheels, lemme know

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats on the new ride and baby! :thumbup: now to update the avatar :)

oh and if you ever wanna part with those wheels, lemme know
haha - will do, thanks! good call on the avatar

Looking good! Congratulations on your new Tiguan! Congrats are also in order for your baby! Best to you and your wife!
thanks!!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks! Yea i'm in love so far with this car. I've been searching around all day but was curious or rather had a few questions.

Spacers - bolt pattern is 5x112 right...but where are people buying their spacers from? I have an old set from my jetta that i believe are also 5x112, have longer bolts, etc....but i doubt the center diameter is the same so I wouldn't be able to re-use them I'm guessing.

Di-Noc / RVinyl -- How easy is it to remove that stuff? Plasti-Dip i know just peels right off but i think i'd like to try the Di-Noc Vinyl stuff. If for some reason i RVinyl something will it be fairly easy to remove at some point if i don't like it??

Also where are you guys typically getting aftermarket parts from - ECS Tuning?? I don't want to go crazy, just some small tasteful mods...

·
Registered
5,470 Posts
I don't want to go crazy, just some small tasteful mods...
famous last words...

next thing ya know it's on bags and has a BT setup in it...:laugh: just sayin'

You could always look for a used oem grill to do your testing on just in case something doesn't turn out :thumbup:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Just updating -

debadged the back end a bit and put some clear 3M door edge protectors on. Rear only has TSI left.

Next up, spacers

Have the same setup/color as well, love to hear what you use for your spacers and some picture. Might just copy it ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks!
I have the lamin-x on the side markers, IMO it looks great! Here is a pic for you:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5688497-What-did-you-do-to-your-tiguan-today/page11

About halfway down ;)
Care to share your source for the side marker Lamin-X?

ah nice! how dark is that do you recall? also do the sidemarkers just pop out like every other VW I presume?
Not exactly….on my '13 there is a clip on the top and bottom of the side marker but also like a guide pin in the middle that presses in to hold it securely in place. Easy to get to thru the access flap, one (T20) screw. There are two nubs on the side closest to the plastic fender flare material, I suppose to hold it in place as well. Be careful on the re-install as those nubs can gouge the fender flare.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Care to share your source for the side marker Lamin-X?

Not exactly….on my '13 there is a clip on the top and bottom of the side marker but also like a guide pin in the middle that presses in to hold it securely in place. Easy to get to thru the access flap, one (T20) screw. There are two nubs on the side closest to the plastic fender flare material, I suppose to hold it in place as well. Be careful on the re-install as those nubs can gouge the fender flare.
I ordered some from ECSTuning.

Thanks for the tip on the install!

·
Registered
272 Posts
I ordered some from ECSTuning.

Thanks for the tip on the install!
did you get just a universal size or do they have pre-cut pieces that fit Tig 2 side markers?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts