VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Looks very similar to the outgoing model, which isn't a bad thing.

Will it continue to be offered with the 5.0 V8?

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
Here are some specs from the media site... no HP/TQ or MPG figures on this, but all engines get the 10-speed auto which might make the base 3.3 more palatable for a lot of people and auto braking is standard.

Paint is warranted for 5 years
Paint Adhesion 5 years/unlimited miles

Halogens on low trims but fancy stuff on upper trims
Ford said:
Standard Halogen Quad Beam Headlamp. Optional LED Quad Beam Headlamp with Daytime Running Lamp, or optional Adaptive LEDProjector with Autommatic [sic] Leveling and Dynamic Bending and Daytime Running Lamp
https://media.ford.com/content/dam/...2021/f150/pdfs/2021-F-150-Technical-Specs.pdf

Engines appear to be straight carryovers, plus the addition of the hybrid

·
Registered
19,400 Posts
The lay-flat seats are sick but only available on the super lux trims (King Ranch, Platinum and Limited)

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
Well done Ford!

I hope the interior materials are as good as the RAMs. Even without, I think this has the makings of a great line of trucks. I'm glad they didn't deviate much on the exterior, as it was already a good looking truck. No need to go crazy with it.

I always love seeing the new truck innovations, and this one doesn't disappoint, even if they're relatively minor ones.

·
Registered
17,622 Posts
The low-chrome versions look best to me so far.

When people call the Cybertruck a reset, this new F150 is what they have in mind.
Much like the new Titan, the F150 mashes up design features from several of its competitors.
It has GMC’s parentheses DRLs, surrounding Chevy’s traditional stacked headlamp elements.
The crossbar grille element owes a lot to Ram.
The weird fender vent recalls the aforementioned Titan.
The profile is pure Ford and hasn’t changed in 3 generations.
Full sized truck design is an inbred mess right now, and I’m glad Tesla (and Rivian, to a lesser degree) is shaking things up.
No, I don’t think the Tesla design will ever sell as well as the Ford or ever be considered mainstream.
I do think, however, that it gives the other traditional truck brands permission to break free from chasing the definitive Dodge Ram reboot from the 1990s.

·
Registered
14,423 Posts
Any word on the suspension: specifically if Ford has anything to compete with the Ram's air suspension?
While the Ram has a leg up with the air suspension, it rides like crap. I wouldn’t want that on my truck.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Looks very similar to the outgoing model, which isn't a bad thing.

I was hoping for a slightly more revolutionary design, but the sheet metal is going to age well, no doubt, even with the familiar profile. Launch execution will have to be top-notch though - they can't afford the $1b in lost sales with the aluminum truck in 2014-15 when they lost their weld-assembly expert to JLR and had to switch to riveted body. And the Explorer new face and launch were already botched last year so they have lessons learned. I'll second opinions above that the onboard Pro-Power is probably the best work feature available - enough for running 28 refrigerators simultaneously!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,101 Posts
As a completely non-pickup truck guy, I'm curious does the F-150 pretty much just compete with the Ram 1500 or is there a third player too? Is Chevy in the game in a major way against the F-150? In the parking lot where I used to work the Ram 1500 drivers were generally younger and way more aggressive. The F-150 guys seemed a tad bit more mature. I dunno. Just my non pickup observation. Never driven one. Never even been inside one.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Wonder where Ford is going to cut corners safety wise.

They're the only company making the suicide rear doors still, where the front has to open before the rear can.

They got caught a few years ago adding a brace to only the driver's side of the crew-cab (most popular) trucks to help with the small offset crash test. When IIHS tested a double cab, they got exposed.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Huh. Looks like the old one. The desk thing is interesting but ultimately doesn't matter that much. Built in power inverter and the hybrid system, now that's a winner of a combo.

Neat features. Bleh interior. Familiar looks. I'd take the Ram.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
The lay-flat seats are sick but only available on the super lux trims (King Ranch, Platinum and Limited)
This is going to revolutionize having an affair. Think of all the hotel room savings!

On a serious note, I think ford really brought their A game to this refresh.

Every marquee feature really seems like it is something genuinely useful, and not gimmicky.

As someone who often has to work on a laptop in a vehicle, I am instantly jealous of the desk. The power station is awesome. The hybrid is probably going to be blisteringly quick. The interior looks nicely ergonomic, and I much prefer their implementation of the horizontal big screen.

Also while it was lost in all the other announcements, it is a pretty huge deal that they are confident enough in their autonomous driving to offer hands free. It looks like this will either be a debacle, or the fruits of their R & D is really paying off. That is going to be a killer feature, being in a comfyF150 driving itself down the road, is probably going to be a nice place to be.

They took the safe route aesthetically, but this is probably the best launch they have done in recent memory

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
This is going to revolutionize having an affair. Think of all the hotel room savings!

On a serious note, I think ford really brought their A game to this refresh.

Every marquee feature really seems like it is something genuinely useful, and not gimmicky.

As someone who often has to work on a laptop in a vehicle, I am instantly jealous of the desk. The power station is awesome. The hybrid is probably going to be blisteringly quick. The interior looks nicely ergonomic, and I much prefer their implementation of the horizontal big screen.

Also while it was lost in all the other announcements, it is a pretty huge deal that they are confident enough in their autonomous driving to offer hands free. It looks like this will either be a debacle, or the fruits of their R & D is really paying off. That is going to be a killer feature, being in a comfyF150 driving itself down the road, is probably going to be a nice place to be.

They took the safe route aesthetically, but this is probably the best launch they have done in recent memory
You have to be a machoist to want to smash in a truck with hard ass seats. LOL
And I agree, I was only expecting for the autonomous driving to be related to the Mach E only, and not the bread and butter F150. This also leapfrogs GM (They keep it a Cadillac exclusive feature). That said I'd doubt that you could get this feature on the lower end versions of the F150

·
Banned
642 Posts
I like that they have so many versions so that you can really tailor the vehicle to your budget and style. Like others, I like the low-chrome best, although I still think the equivalent "Sport" model Ram looks a bit more aggressive. The electrification seems to be much more robust than Ram's etorque system, which I think is only 1/3rd kWh and not liquid cooled as far as I know. On the one hand I like a lot of those cool features, but on the other I know that nothing is free and I wonder how much tacking those features on starts to balloon the price, and what a basic "sport" type model that I'd actually buy would look like compared to the Ram.
Wow that transmission/shift lever.

Much want. Will say engage everytime I shift into drive.
At first I thought it'd be no more convenient than the knob on the Ram, which frees up even more center console area, but this would be nice for when you need to blindly switch back and forth between reverse and shift by feel. Popping up reminds me more of the joystick that Riker used in Insurrection than anything Picard ever used.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts

Just a render for now, but the raptor loses a bit of aggression with the new headlight design IMO.

Rumor has it that it will get a v8 option this time around though, which is a good thing.

·
Banned
1,122 Posts
Looks less modern than the current model.

The interior... they clearly didn't care to hire designers.

It's clearly sticking to being a "working Joe" truck and nothing more.

This is no competition for RAM but I'm sure it'll sell 3x better.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts