VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Rejoining the VWVortex Community - Please review the following thread: Here

41 - 60 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Front end on the red truck REALLY hearkens back to the pre-1995 trucks, which I love.
I didn't know why but I got the same feeling when I saw it, think its the vertical slats that hit me. The on-board generator and outlets in the bed seem to be a huge plus for people that actually use their trucks for work or projects.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Give a little thought to how incredibly difficult and delicate updating your best selling, most profitable, vehicle is. You need to innovate to keep up with competitors but you take things just a little too far design-wise and you risk alienating your core customers.

With nearly a million sales a year, Ford is walking a knife-edge on any major changes. And that's why I give them kudos for a really good redesign, tons of innovations, without doing anything to mess it up along the way.

I'd probably still lean Ram, but the redesign gives me a reason to seriously check out the Ford now where the previous gens really felt like my "dad's" truck.

Massive changes like we saw with the 94 Ram, and the 97 F-150 were game-changers for modern pickups, but they could just have easily been total flops. The stakes are SO MUCH HIGHER in 2021.

·
Registered
'17 Golf R
13,101 Posts
The F150 mashes up design features from several of its competitors.
It has GMC’s parentheses DRLs, surrounding Chevy’s traditional stacked headlamp elements.
The crossbar grille element owes a lot to Ram.
The weird fender vent recalls the aforementioned Titan.
The profile is pure Ford and hasn’t changed in 3 generations.
Full sized truck design is an inbred mess right now.
:popcorn:

·
Premium Member
35,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I don't mind the DRL flourish but I am not a fan of all of these multi-faceted ("compound eye" in the insect world) headlight clusters that are getting so popular. They look bad on a Porsche, they look bad on this. IMO.

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
So white collar (platinum and limited drivers) have the ability to sleep in the truck, but blue collar (XL and XLT drivers) do not.

Class warfare? :laugh:

·
Registered
2013 Volt, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
18,786 Posts
Is it me or does this still just look blah? So much hard plastic.....
Real work trucks (even "luxury" ones) need more hard plastic and less materials that can easily get torn up. I know a few fleet buyers and they much prefer the easily cleanable and durable hard plastics in their trucks.

This thing has a lot of nice features and thoughtful elements that it'll definitely sell well to those that use their trucks as trucks.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
So white collar (platinum and limited drivers) have the ability to sleep in the truck, but blue collar (XL and XLT drivers) do not.

Class warfare? :laugh:
I'll take an opposite tack: Why would you ever be laid out sleeping in a work truck that's likely not even your truck? Utility guys are going to have a hotel room, field workers are going to be in a different truck from day-to-day, and your foreman/engineer ain't gonna be caught dead driving an XL like his employees :laugh:

This is for something towing their car trailer, camper or toys who wants to snag some shuteye at the rest stop or in a parking lot, hence why it's on the higher trims. Also likely due to a more complicated seat mechanism being prone to being messed up being treated like an unloved couch. You want the features, you buy a higher trim.

I personally think it's kinda silly, and I LOVE a good gimmick.

·
Premium Member
35,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
So upon further thought, I love the desk, but don't like the folding shift stick. Obviously it's just an electronic shifter, so I think if you order the desk, you should default to some sort of push-button or column mount for the shifter.

I can just see that thing getting full of crumbs, spilled coffee, jam a pen down there, etc.

·
Registered
17,622 Posts
So upon further thought, I love the desk, but don't like the folding shift stick. Obviously it's just an electronic shifter, so I think if you order the desk, you should default to some sort of push-button or column mount for the shifter.

I can just see that thing getting full of crumbs, spilled coffee, jam a pen down there, etc.
I'd be more concerned with the gear selector just getting stuck in the down position, and not being able to drive the truck.

·
Registered
826 Posts

It doesn't make a ton of sense as a solution when other shifters exist.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Even a manual shift release type option would be better.

I love this idea, but see it being super high risk. The last thing anyone needs is being unable to access their gear lever.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Fold down shifter is neat but why not just go to a push button selector like the Explorer/Aviator or Dial like GT500 (or like the RAM have the dial next to the radio)?

The bed as a work station is pretty trick. I can see guys at the race track using it to power their trailer's. It would be a lot quieter too.

Aiming for highest torque in class. The Hellcat Ram will have 650lbs-ft sooooo im curious what this hybrid system will add.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts

That would probably make for a much higher price for the option as now there is a different dash, another selector, and a different wiring harness.

Fold down shifter is neat but why not just go to a push button selector like the Explorer/Aviator or Dial like GT500 (or like the RAM have the dial next to the radio)?
The press release notes that their customers told them they like a center gear selector so they made sure to give them one.

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
Give a little thought to how incredibly difficult and delicate updating your best selling, most profitable, vehicle is. You need to innovate to keep up with competitors but you take things just a little too far design-wise and you risk alienating your core customers.

With nearly a million sales a year, Ford is walking a knife-edge on any major changes. And that's why I give them kudos for a really good redesign, tons of innovations, without doing anything to mess it up along the way.

I'd probably still lean Ram, but the redesign gives me a reason to seriously check out the Ford now where the previous gens really felt like my "dad's" truck.

Massive changes like we saw with the 94 Ram, and the 97 F-150 were game-changers for modern pickups, but they could just have easily been total flops. The stakes are SO MUCH HIGHER in 2021.
Of all the manufacturers, Ford is the one that has taken the most risks with their trucks. Remember the torches and pitchforks when they went aluminum and dared to offer a V6 turbo??

·
Registered
19,403 Posts
That would probably make for a much higher price for the option as now there is a different dash, another selector, and a different wiring harness.
I feel like it should be available in the XL with column shift in the trucks that will be actually getting down and dirty.

·
Registered
1997 BMW M3, 2020 Mazda CX-5, motorcycles
1,931 Posts
Ram must be pretty stoked right now. This thing has a case of Nissan Titanitus with that derpy, dead-eyed look.

GM, and to a much lesser extent, Ford, really rigged up the styling of their latest generation of full-sized trucks.

41 - 60 of 104 Posts