VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
For the display, you have to make sure that all the flux you used is cleaned off the circuit board. It looks like you used flux that contains acid. When the board is cold, the flux is solid and as it warms up and liquifies, it will short the traces and cause what you are experiencing. Use 99% rubbing alcohol and cotton swabs to clean up your work and hopefully it will solve your issue. Make sure to swab the back side of the board if you can get to it. I use some compressed air to make sure the alcohol has evaporated.

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hi. Thanks for the advise. I did clean but maybe not well enough. I took it apart and cleaned again top and back. I could not see any debris or overlap. Then again my eyesight it’s that great lately. After reinstalling it’s much better but not perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
If it’s not perfect, you may have damaged it. If you end up having to order another one, buy from this seller at AliExpress. The front is non glare. Be careful installing the metal bezel as it will damage the ribbon cable. I cut a notch in the metal frame so it wouldn’t as I ruined a couple while pressing it on.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1961960683.html

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Never used aliexpress before. Wow that’s cheap. I don’t know if it was my soldering skill or cheap EBay part. It was my first time soldering so guess it won’t hurt trying it again. Weird though sometimes it perfect engine on or off. Guess I should find a non acid flux too.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Looks like the last cleaning did the trick. The last couple of days the DIS has been clear.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Now another problem. I have not driven the car since it isn’t plated. While moving it around my parking area to wash it, suddenly it appears to pop out of gear. But when I rev it the speedo moves as if it’s in gear. Now I can select gears but no movement. Speedometer moves some minor sound from the transmission but no movement. What the #*$!? happened?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sounds like one of the axles snapped or the drive shaft.

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for that. That’s what my subsequent searches suggest. Got a family emergency now so I won’t be able to touch it for the next 1-2 weeks. It’s probably the right cv joint I overhauled.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Yup. It was the right outer shaft popped out of the joint. No wonder with that tiny hogring circlip.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Drive shaft done
Shake down/test drive today.
Bucking at part throttle. Checked for vacuum leaks. Found diverter valves had loose hose clamps. But that didn’t solve the problem. I unplugged the MAF and that did it. So I’ll order a new one.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts