VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched...
As you know, front tint is punishable by death in CA, but I live in a frickin' desert, so I need something!!! The back is already blacked out for the baby, but I was wondering if there was any type of UV blocker I could use on the front. I just want to be able to go to work and not show up with my left arm burnt to a crisp. I know some waxes have it, so why not make something for windows? Is there any kind of clear film I could use, maybe a spray type substance? My arms will thank you for any constructive feedback!

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Re: (ClockworkChad)

Quote, originally posted by ClockworkChad »
use sunblock on your arm ? is it really so bad that you are getting sunburn on your arm from driving ?

I have a nice farmers tan on my left arm from driving

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

use sunblock on your arm ? is it really so bad that you are getting sunburn on your arm from driving ?

Yes. I live in the "High Desert" of southern California. Our highs for the summer get up to 110, sometimes spiking near 120. It's actually 'dangerous' to be outdoors for any longer than 5 minutes in the thick of it.
Quote, originally posted by th535is »
Could you not get a very light ceramic tint up front or does California not allow any tint at all on the front?

No tint at all.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Re: Invisible tint? (clutch_dust)

At least in CA I don't think they let you put any type of film or coating substance on your front windshield unless it is for the top 3 or 4 inches of the windshield to be used as a sunvisor.
What do car companies like Mecedes do to give thier windows that light-blue factory tint anyways? Perhaps if it is chemically part of the glass itself it is not illegal?

·
Registered
14,819 Posts

yes. CA sunshine is no joke

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Invisible tint? (ESP_OFF)

Quote, originally posted by ESP_OFF »
At least in CA I don't think they let you put any type of film or coating substance on your front windshield unless it is for the top 3 or 4 inches of the windshield to be used as a sunvisor.
What do car companies like Mecedes do to give thier windows that light-blue factory tint anyways? Perhaps if it is chemically part of the glass itself it is not illegal?

After riding through a rainstorm at night in a truck with a tinted winshield and no wipers, I think I'll keep mine as clear as possible. But I'm looking for something that could block the UV rays, thus preventing the burning sensation, yet remain crystal clear. Kinda like smearing SPF50 all over my windows. Wait a minute...

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
Re: Invisible tint? (clutch_dust)

Quote, originally posted by clutch_dust »
Searched...
As you know, front tint is punishable by death in CA

a guy i met owns a tint shop and he'll only tint the windshield of his own car. he said its too risky with all the liquid thats involved being so close to the dash.

·
Registered
7,427 Posts
Re: (gotta_jet)

how much time are you spending driving to get a sunburn?
Glass filters out UVB light, but will let UVA through (350-400nm) It should take a heck of a long time to get a burn.
Wear sunscreen.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (dr. locktopus)

Just to clarify, I'm talking abot the front doors. Not just the windshield. I have the rear window and the rear doors tinted already.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Re: (clutch_dust)

I had a 55% tint on the front windows and it looked almost OEM and you can see through it, so cops never hassled me for it.. It kept the car cool, looked OEMish like their isnt a tint.. try that

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (GTIolot)

My back windows are already 5%, so it has the illusion from a few angles that the front already has tint. Cops up here will pull you over for fun, so I'd like to stay as legal as possible.

·
Premium Member
80 Rabbit, 80 Maplebar, 81 Rabbit, 04 ZHP
4,323 Posts
Solarguard makes Ultra Performance as well. 75% light tranmission, around 50% solar rejection, and 99% of UV B. Nano-tech, and very pricey. Figure around 140ish for the front two. Putting in on the e30 tomorrow. Got a ticket for 35% a bit ago.

·
Registered
19 Miata GT-S
1,629 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by dr. locktopus »
how much time are you spending driving to get a sunburn?
Glass filters out UVB light, but will let UVA through (350-400nm) It should take a heck of a long time to get a burn.
Wear sunscreen.

Unless he had Quartz windows.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys! I'll look into this stuff at work, we tend to get discounts when we say it's for the boss!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.