VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Move over Tesla...

From the get-go, Hyundai knew the Ioniq was all about variety. Until today, the Ioniq was known as the compact sedan that had three available powertrains: all-electric, plug-in hybrid and standard hybrid. After today, the Ioniq name will expand to become Hyundai's dedicated EV brand with three new models hitting dealerships in the next four years.

Hyundai has announced that the Ioniq brand will enter its new phase in early 2021 with the launch of the Ioniq 5, a midsize all-electric CUV that will be based on the 45 concept from the 2019 Frankfurt Motor Show (remember those?). This will be followed in 2022 by the Ioniq 6 sedan (based on the Prophecy concept) and then the Ioniq 7 in 2024. There's no current concept that will lend itself to the Ioniq 7, but Hyundai has at least provided a bit of a hint in the teaser image you can see above.

In case your home quarantine provides you with a view of the London Eye, you may have seen Hyundai work its promotional magic to light the wheel up as a giant Q to celebrate the launch of the new brand. Hyundai says there's more to the new Ioniq name than the vehicles themselves. The brand symbolizes "Hyundai's plan to lead the global EV market" and there's talk of "connected lifestyle solutions" and an ability to "integrate in-car and out-of-car experiences for a seamless journey." We'll have to be patient for more details about those last two items, but the EV leadership goal was explained in Hyundai's recent Strategy 2025 announcement. As part of this plan, Hyundai Motor Group (which includes the Kia and Genesis brands) wants to one million battery electric vehicles and gain a 10-percent market share of EVs around the world by 2025.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sebast...ing-with-ionic-5-cuv-ev-in-2021/#355350e2b07f

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,759 Posts
I said this 1-2 years ago. Hyundai is poised to take a much larger EV market share and will continue to do so. Much like their normal cars, the EV offerings are decent value and the tech is not controversial. If I had to predict the biggest players in 5 years they would be in order:

Tesla
Hyundai/Kia
Maybe Rivian/Ford

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Isn’t GM thinking about doing this as well, stand alone EV brand?
yea HUMMER!! with a brand like that how many different type of product can it have?? :banghead::banghead: Hummer roadster??

·
Registered
25,356 Posts
yea HUMMER!! with a brand like that how many different type of product can it have?? :banghead::banghead: Hummer roadster??
Pics of hummer roadster, plz.

Second pic, 350z, some huge titan thing, ford escape or e*something. Ohhh, edge maybe.

·
Registered
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hummer will be the name of the EV offerings from GMC.
Hummer won’t be a full line stand alone EV brand.

As far as I know, GM won’t be launching a stand alone EV brand in North America.
Cadillac will have mostly EV products by the end of this decade, and is probably the closest GM will come to an all EV brand.

·
Registered
35,022 Posts
I don't think it will last long, same as how the Prius brand (Prius, Prius C, Prius V) didn't last long, nor did Scion for that matter, and those had the backing of Toyota to make their respective product lines last. I think eventually people will just accept that electric is a powertrain option and it won't need to be broken out as unique. I'm guessing no later than 2035 for EVs to be so mainstream that they don't get much in the way of special treatment, similar to how hybrids haven't gotten special treatment for years now, and they really only went mainstream 17 years ago with the 2nd gen Prius.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Will these have their own charging network as well? I'm weary of any OEM that's not thinking of standardizing the EV network. That means I have no intention of buying a car where I have to look out for a proprietary network. We all know that, unless it's a premium brand, after-sales services are, at best, an afterthought. Governments and these OEMs need to get their act together and start taking the charging network seriously or people will continue to treat these vehicles as novelties.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,751 Posts
This was the article I was thinking of...

August 06, 2020 03:14 PM
GM kicks around an idea to seize on EV enthusiasm, report says
DAVID WELCH
Bloomberg

DETROIT -- General Motors is pondering a provocative move based on a predicament it has faced for years: Pure plays on electric vehicles are all the rage, while old-school auto manufacturing can’t get any love.

The idea -- to spin off GM’s electric-vehicle operations as a standalone entity -- was raised by analysts with CEO Mary Barra during the automaker’s earnings call last week. It’s no wonder she voiced openness to the concept. People familiar with the matter say it was floated internally in 2018.

GM now is war-gaming the idea as the company ponders different ways to get credit for its EV plans, though a spinoff isn’t actively being prepared, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing internal deliberations. Barra was publicly asked about it in light of Tesla Inc.’s soaring valuation and the easy access to capital that unproven EV startups such as Nikola Corp. have pulled off by merging with blank-check companies.

“Investors are telling us every day that they are willing to invest in electric vehicles,” said Emmanuel Rosner, the Deutsche Bank analyst who asked Barra about the idea of a spinoff on July 29. “But they are doing it with electric-vehicle companies, not legacy companies.”

A GM spokesman declined to comment beyond referring to the remarks Barra made during the carmaker’s earnings call.

“We are open to looking at and evaluate anything that we think is going to drive long-term shareholder value,” she said, adding that “nothing is off the table.”
continues https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/gm-kicks-around-idea-seize-ev-enthusiasm-report-says

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
36,751 Posts
And then there is this...

GM, EVgo to install 2,700 electric-vehicle charging stations
Kalea Hall, The Detroit News Published 12:41 p.m. ET July 31, 2020

Detroit — General Motors Co. and EVgo, a public electric-vehicle charging network, are joining forces to add 2,700 electric-vehicle fast-chargers to the network to spur adoption of the vehicles across the U.S.

The installation, which will take place in the next five years, will triple the size of EVgo's charging network with charging stations being added in 40 metropolitan areas to provide charging access to potential electric-vehicle drivers who rent their homes and can't install chargers, who live in apartments or condos, or who don't have charging stations at work.
General Motors Co. and EVgo, a public electric vehicle charging network, plan to add 2,700 chargers to the network in the next five years.

General Motors Co. and EVgo, a public electric vehicle charging network, plan to add 2,700 chargers to the network in the next five years. (Photo: General Motors Co.)

The move shows yet another commitment by GM to make electric vehicles more accessible by removing barriers created by cost and range anxiety. GM and LG Chem are constructing a battery-cell manufacturing site in northeast Ohio to help with the cost and have developed a new battery that will give their vehicles more range.

"It demonstrates our commitment to making sure customers have everything they need to accelerate the adoption of EVs," GM CEO and Chairman Mary Barra said on a call with media Friday. "We have said that we will partner, invest and look for all opportunities to make sure there's a robust charging infrastructure. Our partnership that we're announcing today with EVgo is a proof point that we believe very strongly that they both have to come together because in order to have confidence to have an EV as your only vehicle you have to know there's robust and fast charging available."

GM and EVgo didn't quantify their investment amount to install the chargers.

The chargers will be available to all electric-vehicle users, not just those who drive GM cars.
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...evgo-install-ev-charging-stations/5554223002/

·
Registered
‘17 VW Passat, ‘08 VW Passat, ‘07 Audi Q7 4.2, ‘03 BMW R1150RT, ‘53 DKW RT250H
4,504 Posts
I’m not so sure that creating a dedicated EV brand is the right way to go from a long-term strategic standpoint, if the overall goal is to transition from ICE to BEV. What happens to the Hyundai brand after the ICE gets totally phased out? Know what I mean?

·
Registered
18,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m not so sure that creating a dedicated EV brand is the right way to go from a long-term strategic standpoint, if the overall goal is to transition from ICE to BEV. What happens to the Hyundai brand after the ICE gets totally phased out? Know what I mean?
This might have everything to do with China or places where Hyundai/Kia are weak or unable to claim the premium prices that an EV line-up will bring.
In many ways, this is what Genesis should have been. I don't think the world was clamoring for yet another premium brand, which offers little more than a Korean takes on German luxury cars.
A distinctive all new EV brand, would have made a much better reason for being, than Genesis.

·
Registered
2019 Golf R, 2019 XC90
7,145 Posts
X2

I think a lot of companies spinning up new brands are going to have to reconcile long-term product plans against short-term marketing wants. I think what Porsche and Cadillac are doing makes sense -- just rip off the band-aid and transition the existing brand to electric, and before you know it you're a pure electric brand to compete against Tesla.

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
I don't think it will last long, same as how the Prius brand (Prius, Prius C, Prius V) didn't last long, nor did Scion for that matter, and those had the backing of Toyota to make their respective product lines last. I think eventually people will just accept that electric is a powertrain option and it won't need to be broken out as unique. I'm guessing no later than 2035 for EVs to be so mainstream that they don't get much in the way of special treatment, similar to how hybrids haven't gotten special treatment for years now, and they really only went mainstream 17 years ago with the 2nd gen Prius.
Totally agree. And that's not a bad thing imo.

Will these have their own charging network as well? I'm weary of any OEM that's not thinking of standardizing the EV network. That means I have no intention of buying a car where I have to look out for a proprietary network. We all know that, unless it's a premium brand, after-sales services are, at best, an afterthought. Governments and these OEMs need to get their act together and start taking the charging network seriously or people will continue to treat these vehicles as novelties.
No. No one is trying to follow the Tesla playbook on that one.

Yes, same with Mercedes' EQ brand and BMW's i. I think they'll all be phased out in a little over a decade. But what I think this signaling is that ICE will be around for longer than some think.
X2

I think a lot of companies spinning up new brands are going to have to reconcile long-term product plans against short-term marketing wants. I think what Porsche and Cadillac are doing makes sense -- just rip off the band-aid and transition the existing brand to electric, and before you know it you're a pure electric brand to compete against Tesla.
I agree on the first part. As per the second, if you're trying out something dramatically new from a design language standpoint having a new subbrand makes sense. These IONIQ models and Mercedes EQ for example, will offer a different aesthetic that would likely alienate the typical brand buyers. It's like skipping two generations of styling evolution.

·
Registered
2011 SAAB 9-5 and 2016 Lincoln MKC
2,230 Posts
X2

I agree with you. Sort of like when BMW started putting an "i" on the end of their car names in indicate "Fuel Injected," then wondering what to do with the "i" when all cars had fuel injection.

I predict many of these will go the way of Geo, with the models eventually rolled back into their parent brands when they outlive their usefulness.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts