VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Any reason why they all can't come together and standardize on the plug?
Literally every other EV besides Tesla ... uses the CCS standard
Do people with EVs have to carry an adapter in their trunk to make sure it works with available charging station?
If you are doing things like plugging into an RV power outlet at a campground, sure. For normal people using public charging stations, no, because...
The PC and smartphone world standardized with USB C, so I think it'd be a lot easier if the various OEMs could do the same for the ports.
They have, regionally. China has a mandated standard. Japan prefers ChaDeMo. And in the US...
They'd save themselves a lot of headache by going that route.
They realise this, which is why in the US...

·
Registered
2013 MINI JCW, 2020 Bolt, 2002 Suburban 2500
19,195 Posts
Any reason why they all can't come together and standardize on the plug? Do people with EVs have to carry an adapter in their trunk to make sure it works with available charging station?
As has been mentioned in many threads on this subject here, as well as numerous times in this thread, Tesla has one plug (and an adapter for the other type) and everyone else in the US uses one plug (J1772). So in my Bolt I can use any charging station in the US EXCEPT a Tesla one. ALL the rest are what 0000-A3 showed you:

Level 2 chargers:

that we all can use, but are slower, or the DC fast charge, which is a level 3 charger:

Either one of those will work in most Non-Tesla EVs now.

You can see in that Bolt charge port that you can use either one of the two plugs above. At home I use Level 2 as I have the time to let it charge overnight if needed, but on the road, I can use the Level 3 and do fast charging.

Same for the Kona, for example:

It can use either one. Level 2 for home charging or topping off when out and about, and DC fast charging for road trips.

·
Registered
8,966 Posts
Unconvincing since apple keeps the lightning port around for licensing/making money. They've gone to USB C on their iPads, laptops and desktops. Every other phone and PC OEM has gone USB C. And Tesla has their own port because they had to build their own network from scratch because such a thing simply didn't exist.
You are right about Tesla's reason for having their own plug style. You're missing the fact that Lightning pre-dated USB-C, so the *exact same logic* applies to Apple.

Now that EVs are becoming popular I'd expect everyone else to standardize. It's been a while since I've looked into these charging networks
Clearly.

I'd expect the government to knock heads together to really get the ball rolling and make this a public-private initiative. The fact that it's private only (with the government only providing tax incentives to consumers and penalties to businesses) it'd be a shame if we ended up with a mishmash of different standards.
A. It's the same situation as mobile phone standards, where from the late 90s/early 2000s almost every other country on the planet standardised on GSM (Japan and a few others on CDMA), while here every cell provider (AT&T, Sprint, NexTel, Verizon, etc.) could do what it wanted and phones that worked on one provider didn't work on another. In both cases (cellular frequencies, and car charging plugs) a standard should have been mandated from the beginning. But it wasn't.

2. The mishmash has already faded. Nissan, Mitsubishi (who?) and older Kia models tried to make ChaDeMo happen. Even Nissan is going with CCS on new models now.

The usual suspects (Japan and the EU) are entirely absent on this.
  • Japan: ChaDeMo standard.
  • EU: CCS Type 2 standard mandated, even making Tesla put a CCS connector on the Model 3 for the European market instead of the Tesla proprietary connector.
  • Both: present, active, and completely countering your claims.

And since nobody wants to work with China, despite them being a market leader, they aren't even taking this seriously either.
China has one nationwide EV fast charging standard, known as China GB/T.

Are you intentionally being obtuse, or are you just so invested in your beliefs that it doesn't matter to you that actual facts counter everything you've said?

Until then, EVs will be best served by sticking close to urban areas.
There are hundreds of EV road trip videos on YouTube. Watch and learn.

No way would I risk taking one on one of my long road trips without planning for EVERY SINGLE STOP, which would be unacceptable.
What you think EV drivers do:

What EV drivers actually do

or

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for the info. Good to see that everyone is using CCS. I saw that when I was checking out a Panamera two years ago (when Porsche said they'd have chargers at all their dealerships). EV networks are much further along than I thought.

·
Registered
25,377 Posts
Thanks for the info. Good to see that everyone is using CCS. I saw that when I was checking out a Panamera two years ago (when Porsche said they'd have chargers at all their dealerships). EV networks are much further along than I thought.
What was the pic above?

27%, 15 minutes runtime? ouch.

Does Porsche have chargers at all their dealerships? You stated that, so surmising, that you are promulgating the truth.

HEY EVERYONE THERE'S FREE DIRT AT AN EXCAVATION SITE NEAR YOU. CHARGE UP YOUR EV'S ASAP. REV 'EM HARD, YEAAAAAHHH!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
What was the pic above?

Does Porsche have chargers at all their dealerships? You stated that, so surmising, that you are promulgating the truth.

HEY EVERYONE THERE'S FREE DIRT AT AN EXCAVATION SITE NEAR YOU. CHARGE UP YOUR EV'S ASAP. REV 'EM HARD, YEAAAAAHHH!!!
That's what I read when the Taycan was introduced. There certainly isn't one at the Porsche dealership in midtown west (Manhattan) not far from where I live that's for sure. WRT these Hyundai vehicles, I agree that the branding is a bit premature but who knows how the public will see ICE cars in five to ten years. As the younger generation grows up they may only look for EVs and Hyundai's EV brand may have established itself by then so it's a risk that has a lot of upside. The downside is that it'll hurt the "Hyundai" brand since people may separate the two and they'll have to do an inversion.

·
Registered
25,377 Posts
That's what I read when the Taycan was introduced. There certainly isn't one at the Porsche dealership in midtown west (Manhattan) not far from where I live that's for sure. WRT these Hyundai vehicles, I agree that the branding is a bit premature but who knows how the public will see ICE cars in five to ten years. As the younger generation grows up they may only look for EVs and Hyundai's EV brand may have established itself by then so it's a risk that has a lot of upside. The downside is that it'll hurt the "Hyundai" brand since people may separate the two and they'll have to do an inversion.
Ahhh, no nein to the every p-car dealer already!

REV 'EM HARD, YEAAAAAHHH!!!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
What was the pic above?

This is while plugged in. 15 minutes more charging to get to the battery level desired for the next leg of the trip.

·
Registered
25,377 Posts
This is while plugged in. 15 minutes more charging to get to the battery level desired for the next leg of the trip.

Yeah, we get the 15 min thing, but OMG OMFG the lethal you know. Charge deception sharks!

·
Registered
35,059 Posts
Sounds like range is expected to be something like 250 miles even for the standard model. Honestly, this might be the EV I am most excited to buy at deep discount as a used car in 5 years. Old enough to be dirt cheap (because it's a Hyundai and EVs depreciate so rapidly anyway) but new enough to still probably be totally reliable, especially with as little as I generally drive.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts