VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the VW dealership install the Ipod adapter in my new 2006 GTI and I am really disappointed with :
1. Quality of the sound. Original stereo already lacks in sound quality. When I play Ipod, qaulity decreases...sounds like a tin can...its awful. iwonder if there is something wrong with the way it was installed. Car now in shop cause after installation no more sound coming out of speakers when I switch to XM satelite radio.
2. Its impossible to operate Ipod from unit itself. VEry annoying tune play randomly and I do not have control. BAsically IPOD control (click wheel) doesnt work. In the manual, they suggest creating up to 5 playlist and play songs included in play lists by chanching CD locations on dashboard. It sucks. Cant acccess my favorite artist/song using Apple menu.
Spent over $250 and very unhappy. Any ideas on how to improve issue?

· Registered
241 Posts
Re: Ipod adapter in 2006 NEW GTI (mpale)

Quote, originally posted by mpale »

2. Its impossible to operate Ipod from unit itself. VEry annoying tune play randomly and I do not have control. BAsically IPOD control (click wheel) doesnt work. In the manual, they suggest creating up to 5 playlist and play songs included in play lists by chanching CD locations on dashboard. It sucks. Cant acccess my favorite artist/song using Apple menu.
Spent over $250 and very unhappy. Any ideas on how to improve issue?

That's absolutely ridiculous. The Ipod just plays in shuffle mode unless you make a bunch of play lists? If that is indeed the case, was it explained before the install? If not, I'd really try to get my $$ back and have them un install the thing.
Remember you can always burn MP3 discs with ID3 tags. That sounds like a better option based on your experience with the Ipod thingy.

· Registered
17 Posts
I have an 06 GLI and just had the VW Ipod adapter uninstalled today. Dealer never informed me that the CD changer wouldn't work. Plus, the VW Ipod adpter is really poorly designed and navigating through playlists is a mess.
I have the NAV radio and had them put this in today which works perfectly:
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shop....html
Only works with NAV unit however... This should work with non-nav units...
http://enfigcarstereo.com/shop....html
Call them to confirm.

· Registered
1,590 Posts

Sounds like most of you didn't do your homework.
It's long been discussed and known that the VW iPod adapter allows you to operate the iPod through the headunit and steering wheel controls.
As of right now, there appears to be no way around this issue. Some different versions allow either HU/SW control or control from your iPod, but not both simultaneously.
Again, this is info that is now widely known, and certainly hasn't stopped many people from buying the device. I won't buy this particular one because of this reason, but I'm also willing and able to install it myself.
To the OP, there's something wrong with your Headunit likely, and you should take it back in to be looked at.

Modified by PDong at 11:25 PM 3-16-2006

· Registered
24 Posts

RELATED QUESTION:

I'm working on my install right now too.
I have the dension ice link setup.
You have to remove the satellite radio plug to get it in the back of the radio, but when i turn it on, it says no external cd changer (by hitting cd button twice). I can faintly hear the ipod if i crank up the volume all the way, but the radio screen is on satellite mode for that to work.
any thoughts?
i've tried unplugging the battery/fuses for a radio reset, but never got to a point where it asked for the radio code...

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Re: (Jamblastx)

Quote, originally posted by Jamblastx »
Just took delivery of my GTI yesterday and I have discovered the awful truth that I cannot play my playlist randomly even though the instructions says that I can.

Well I figured out how to play a playlist randomly if you have the factory Satellite radio. Since the Sat radio does not have the MIX button, you have to press and hold the CD button for two seconds which will set the iPod to play a playlist in shuffle mode.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you saying that the quality of the sound is bad because of the incorrect installation? And where are the correct installation instructions? I took car back and they were able to "resurrect" sat radio. However quality of sound still sucks. Requested unisntallation and refun and was told to go thru VW customer care. Called VW, they open a ticket, called me back this morning and told them they will not refund anything if I am not happy with it! I am livid! And in the meantime (don't know if it's a coincidence), had 2 Ipod replaced for hard drive failure (lucky me still under warranty). I won't even plug Ipod anymore in that damn thing!

· Registered
10 Posts
Re: (Zookie)

Let me get this straight...if you don't have SAT then the CD changer will still work?
And, the adapter will only let you play the first 6 playlists on your iPod? You can't navigate through artists, songs, albums...like on the iPod itself?
Is the iPod charged as it's playing or is it running on it's own (lame) battery?
thanks

· Registered
266 Posts
Re: (mpale)

Quote, originally posted by mpale »
Are you saying that the quality of the sound is bad because of the incorrect installation? And where are the correct installation instructions? I took car back and they were able to "resurrect" sat radio. However quality of sound still sucks. Requested unisntallation and refun and was told to go thru VW customer care. Called VW, they open a ticket, called me back this morning and told them they will not refund anything if I am not happy with it! I am livid! And in the meantime (don't know if it's a coincidence), had 2 Ipod replaced for hard drive failure (lucky me still under warranty). I won't even plug Ipod anymore in that damn thing!

Expose bad quality recordings?
This isn't an Arcam designed system... it's POS OEM. If anything, all recordings expose how bad the system is!
For what it's worth... I'm ditching my iPod and plan to use the 6 disk changer.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Re: (pguy)

Quote, originally posted by pguy »
Let me get this straight...if you don't have SAT then the CD changer will still work?
And, the adapter will only let you play the first 6 playlists on your iPod? You can't navigate through artists, songs, albums...like on the iPod itself?
Is the iPod charged as it's playing or is it running on it's own (lame) battery?
thanks

Don't know about the CD changer
You can only play the first FIVE playlists (I renamed mine and numbered the five I wanted to be played) and the sixth playlist is the iPod's entire library
You cannot navigate albums, artists, etc. only playlists
The iPod is charged through the adapter.

· Registered
10 Posts
Re: (Jamblastx)

Quote »
You cannot navigate albums, artists, etc. only playlists

That sucks.
Quote, originally posted by Jamblastx »

The iPod is charged through the adapter.

This is good.
Hmm...what's the dealer charging to install it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.