VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
931 Posts
Those might be feasible in land-based energy storage or even in cargo ships where weight isn't a real concern, but I bet they're heavy heavy suckers, unsuitable for vehicles in virtually any application. Interesting tech...
yes heavy and bulky but that doesn't matter in some applications
Iron

The only limitation with iron-flow batteries is that they are much larger than lithium batteries. This means they wouldn’t be able to be used in smartphones or laptops or even electric vehicles, but could work well as a practical option for grid storage.

· Registered
931 Posts
Show me in the article where it says they are seeking funding from the government, perhaps I missed it. Unless that info is behind the paywall.
I believe this is about as close to 'government involvement' that Form Energy (startup of the iron battery) gets

They are attracting investors for the most part to get them going.

In 2018, Form Energy received $3.8 million from the federal government’s Department of Energy as a part of the Advanced Research Projects Agency for Energy (abbreviated as ARPA-E). But that was for a different battery based on “aqueous sulfur battery chemistry,” Form told CNBC.

and In June 2020, the California Energy Commission, the state’s primary energy policy and planning agency, granted Form Energy the money to be used for pursuing the development of energy storage technologies that do not require lithium.

Finally it's more along the line of tax credits

Form can scale more quickly thanks to new tax credits for battery-storage projects in the Inflation Reduction Act and forecasts for faster deployment of renewables, Chief Executive Officer Mateo Jaramillo said in an interview.

It's still in the developmental stages at this point but shows promise

1 - 4 of 4 Posts