VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am intent on building an A2 jetta 1.8t with a six-speed tranny but on a 15 grand budget for all the addons ie. paint, suspension and interior. i am also confused on the whole engine code thing, isn't a 1.8t a 1.8t? or is there better combinations to use on partiucular swaps.
If i could be directed to a 1.8t swap thread that would rock!

· Registered
1,985 Posts
Re: Is $15,000 enough? (macdub)

Quote, originally posted by macdub »
I am intent on building an A2 jetta 1.8t with a six-speed tranny but on a 15 grand budget for all the addons ie. paint, suspension and interior. i am also confused on the whole engine code thing, isn't a 1.8t a 1.8t? or is there better combinations to use on partiucular swaps.

The engine code makes all the difference in the world if you are going to use the OEM engine management. Search for moneymakin's thread for the most efficient way to get a 1.8t in your car. Punkassjim's thread is a mkIII swap but is still the most comprehensive hybrid documented. Some people use standalone EM but you have to have a source for the maps or know some one who can tune it.
Check out my swap thread (in my sig) but only use it as reference for some of the hardware stuff. There are much easier ways to do the electrical.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (speedracer211)

Ya that would be nice and alot easyer but all the fun is in building it yourself and if i can buld a 15k car that will kill this dick down the street that spent 40k on a new civic with a supercharger and finally shut him up it would make it all worth it.

i have found two engines one is out of a 2001 jetta and the other is out of a 1999.5 passat what are the codes for these engines and which one would be better? or is there a difference.

· Registered
402 Posts

Yes it would be enought, but i don't know how much time you got and how much resourses you got and space and other things. If i had that much money to spend i would just but one already droped it and do what ever else you can with it with money left over. It might seems fun to do your self, but till you actually start doing it. If you don't have any prior experience with engine swaping, i WOULD NOT recomed you doing that. i am not saying that you don't have any experience, but that is not a start up project in my opinion. Just my 2c.

· Registered
587 Posts

If you have that much cash on hand, you'd be WAY ahead finding someone who's almost done and has run out of money/enthusiasim. Kit cars and swaps are a gold mine for bargain hunters, IF you have cash on hand. There's always someone looking to bail on a project, and you can get stuff sooo much cheaper if you can find one of these situations. Good luck!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,454 Posts
Re: Is $15,000 enough? (ChristianMK1)

Does it have to be a 1.8T? I built a 2.0 8vT that keeps up with Corvettes and beats STI's. And in Hawaii the cost was high, but still under 15 with some other sweet add-ons, but no paint yet.
BTW this is a fully built motor with standalone, forged pistons etc.

· Registered
2,755 Posts
Re: (macdub)

building it yourself is the best part... once you have it done smokin other cars kicks ass, but be prepared for lots of headaches and standstills. I have two of the largest vdub yards in the country within a 20 minute drive and i still had to wait for some parts to come in... if you have the time and the patience i say build it yourself but for the same amount of money and a 1/4 of the time you could buy one already done and and be way ahead of the game... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
226 Posts
Re: Is $15,000 enough? (ranzuo)

Quote, originally posted by ranzuo »
Does it have to be a 1.8T? I built a 2.0 8vT that keeps up with Corvettes and beats STI's. And in Hawaii the cost was high, but still under 15 with some other sweet add-ons, but no paint yet.
BTW this is a fully built motor with standalone, forged pistons etc.

You beat STI and keep up with corvettes when your trap at 99 mph.

And yes, 15K should be more then enought... I'm at 9k now and this is my car... http://20vt.no-ip.com

· Registered
2,454 Posts
Re: Is $15,000 enough? (Maxf31)

Yup. My best trap speed is 103, but this car is faster than the numbers show.
I beat the STI using my cars advantages, there is a post just search my posts.
I kept up with a newer Corvette until my top speed, then he kept going. Damn gearing, but I wouldn't have beat him anyway. But when I get an 02A conv then we shall see. I'm only running 10psi right now cause I keep blowing 020 trannies.

· Registered
The mk3.75
19,468 Posts

Quote, originally posted by macdub »

Lots and lots of info in here, including links to lots and lots more info.

If you've got $15,000 to plunk into a show car, you can have one HELL of a nice mk2 1.8T. And I agree, most of the fun is in building the thing. As much as I'd like Louis to find a good home for his beauty, it'd be silly to disregard the true reason you're looking to do it: you know it'll be a blast to build.

Anyway, feel free to drop specific questions into that thread I've linked above. For starters I'd like to suggest you stick to Jetta/GTI motors unless you find the nuances of the AEB engine to tickle your fancy. For specific information about all 1.8T motors, check out the 1.8T Technical Forum FAQ.
Happy researching!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.