VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at a TDI as a commuter car and it has 175,000 miles. Is this too many to be considered. The seller says the car is mechanically perfect, it only has a few dents in a couple of the fenders. What should I look out for/ask for?
I'm figuring the parts that needed to have been replaced have been, like shocks/struts and other suspension bits. I'll take a look at it obviously but I don't know the ins/outs of the TDI. I need a good commuter car because my commute is soon to be 180 miles a day
and this would definitely be a great option for that commute. I'd like to take advantage of the near 50 MPG highway. Also, how "slow" does it feel? Is it going to be quicker (5-speed) than my old Mk3 2.0 Auto? 90 hp seems like it's not a lot but it does have some torque.
Any help is appreciated. Sorry if these are dumb questions, I don't even know where to start searching. You TDI guys are pretty passionate so I figure this is a good place to start.

Modified by Jetty! at 5:23 PM 9-10-2008

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
175k is not too much, depending on the price. In addition to figuring in for struts and such, also plan to have the timing belt and ALL associated parts replaced, unless the current owner can provide possitive proof that someone competent with TDIs, using the proper tools, replaced the TB.
The associated parts are: tensioner, 3 rollers, water pump, and all the stretch bolts. Plan $650-$1000 for a timing belt job. The low end would be taking a trip to Maine to have a very TDI experienced mechanic called HermTDI replace the belt (do a search on tdiclub.com for Herm and you'll see why people drive many hours to have him work on their vehicles). $1000 if you go to a shop or dealer. But, most independent shops and even dealers are not very experienced when it comes to TDIs.
Don't be afraid of the 90hp. It will definitely out perform a Mk3 2.0 auto, and was even slightly faster (in the published specs) than the Mk4 2.0 auto.
If you join tdiclub.com, you might be able to find a knowledgable person who can check out the car with you.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: Is 175,000 miles too many for a MkIV TDI? (Jetty!)

the biggest problem (im my opinion) with the Mk4 TDi is everything NOT under the hood.
A4 cars had terrible interiors that fall apart at 50-100k miles, and are too costly to repair properly.
Electrical issues plagued the A4 model line, there was a class action lawsuit or 2..
Don't even get me started on the power windows, and I don't think they ever put manual windows in A4s...
My parents have red and white 2000 jettas (2.0)...
The motor, however will realistically give 50 Mpg and 250 lb/ft from what I read.
Just my .02

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Re: Is 175,000 miles too many for a MkIV TDI? (JettaGLi16v)

Quote, originally posted by JettaGLi16v »
the biggest problem (im my opinion) with the Mk4 TDi is everything NOT under the hood.
A4 cars had terrible interiors that fall apart at 50-100k miles, and are too costly to repair properly.

um... Mine has 172K miles on it, and the interior looks just fine, thank you very much.
Electrical issues plagued the A4 model line, there was a class action lawsuit or 2..

The only electrical issue I've had is the MAF sensor. I've had it replaced a few times, but with the newest part number, things are working excellent.
Don't even get me started on the power windows, and I don't think they ever put manual windows in A4s...

GL cars got manual windows from 99-03-ish. Also, all plastic power window clips were replaced under voluntary recall from VW with metal ones ages ago.
The motor, however will realistically give 50 Mpg and 250 lb/ft from what I read.
Just my .02

250 lb/ft would require a bit of modding, but it's definitely doable.
My car has been excellent. It still gets comments that it looks new at almost 8 years old. When I tell them it has 172K on it, they usually tell me I'm lying. It runs and drives well, though I think the struts are starting to go. I'm ok with that though, as that's an excuse to do a mild upgrade.

·
Registered
18,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Is 175,000 miles too many for a MkIV TDI? (MattRabbit)

Quote, originally posted by MattRabbit »

GL cars got manual windows from 99-03-ish. Also, all plastic power window clips were replaced under voluntary recall from VW with metal ones ages ago.

Does that include Mk3 power windows? I've got a few broken ones on my Mk3.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Re: Is 175,000 miles too many for a MkIV TDI? (MattRabbit)

I should have been more clear in my first post: Buy a TDI! (or an IDI!!!!) Find a nice one, or find a cheaper one (IDI), but Diesel is where it is at!
I am a new convert to Diesel (albeit Dirty Diesel) and am VERY happy with the switch.
Matt:
you definitely got a great car,
and neither of my parents did (unfortunately) Nor a few other 2000-02 owners I know.
One thing I did think of, as I read your post......
Is your car assembled in Germany?
My folks' are mexican or brazilian (i think... 3VW )
and I DO know that most diesels are made in Germany (A2 & A3 model line, anyway) and generally equipped to last.
Every 97-98 Jetta Tdi I have seen has manual windows.... Maybe they gifted that to the A4 people as well.
Thanks for the corrections, and a positive take on an A4 TDI.
-Brad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.