VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new member but long time reader. Just recently purchased a 2000 Golf gls. It's an automatic 2.0. I'm very happy with the car and love the way it looks. I was just wondering if automatics (especially the 2.0) are considered irrelevant on this site. I know it's not the fastest or best setup, but I would really love to be part of this community. Thanks in advance.

·
"Everything Is Awesome!" Moderator
9,968 Posts
There will be many people that will say it's a horrible choice. It's a solid car and as long as you take care of it she will take care of you. Mine is at 135k and going strong without any issues :thumbup:

·
Registered
2009 A8L W12; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1982 Caddy 2.0T
8,318 Posts
There is absolutly nothing wrong with a 2.0 its a economy box that is built to last.

Just do yourself a favor and kill any hopes and dreams of makeing it into a racecar now if you have any. because its simply a waste of time. Keep it stock and run it forever :thumbup:

·
Registered
845 Posts
Welcome,

Its all sentimental value honestly....

Unmolested, they run forever
293,000+ on original engine and autotragic tranny with my 2.0.

Mines lowered and on somewhat wheels, If you don't care about how it looks like, don't worry about it.
Almost everyone will say its not worth doing anything to it engine wise, just keep up on maintenance.

2.0's here are just used to be slammed.
Why? Cause they are cheap on gas, and look sexy as fk lowered.

Here's mine.
I drive like an old man most of the time. :thumbup:
Cant complain at 550km a tank.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Definitely wanna add a roof rack and possibly lower the suspension. i'm headed off to college next year so money may be tight! I'm really pumped that this forum is as welcoming as it is. thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
2009 A8L W12; 2000 Jetta VR6; 1982 Caddy 2.0T
8,318 Posts

·
Registered
7,886 Posts
What have you done to it (and how much did it cost) if you wouldn't mind.
i couldnt even tell you man :laugh: and its to muc hto explain it all in this thread
hahaha i wouldnt even want to know that number :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Just look at his signature:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
its scary to think that might be un stated :mad:
I dont see it is it behind that silver dumpster?

:heart::laugh:
:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
There is no reason for the drive-train to influence your decision to do cosmetic things. Personally I really liked my 2.0 it was a 5 speed but still 2.0, the car had a really good engine note IMO, I would look into doing a Short Ram Intake (not a fan of CAI because of hydrolock) to give you some induction noise and do whatever else your heart desires, If you've been a long time reader like you stated you will know whats frowned upon and what is praised. Car should have great potential even on a limited budget, keep your eye out for great deals during and around shows, Also there is a lot of potential in just polishing things and modifying things yourself, not everything has to be expensive. Take a look at the DIY/FAQ like previously stated and look into the Cheap mods thread.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Heres some pics. Part of my dilemma is I'm not even sure if it's worth the time or money trying to add anything to it. Even aesthetic things like wheels :/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Looks super clean, lower it on some bitchin' wheels and everyone will love you.

Your front tag is crooked :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.