• Plandemic

Votes: 4 6.9%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's imagine a scenario where you are looking to take a road trip. And it would go like this: Get in car and drive 1000 miles to a Airbnb. It's an independent structure as in not attached. And get grocery delivery. Chill and work remotely, and drive back. Do you feel this is safe enough considering the pandemic? Too much of a risk for some? Idiotic thing to do?

Rule #1

·
Registered
12,723 Posts
Go for it. Many people (me included) have been safely doing this all throughout the pandemic. When I traveled back in October I just sprayed Lysol over everything even though the AirBnB owner claimed they had everything professionally cleaned and the last people had been gone for days. I had a great time.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
You have to look at what contingency plans you have if you get sick. Are you alone? Or could you have some help from a friend or nearby relative?
Could you have any issues with access to medical facility? Are you going to an area that is impacted? Can you stay at this Aibnb if you get sick and you need to hang out for a week or two? Or will they kick you out?
What contingency plans do you have for folks at home (remaining family)?

Whatever you do, just make sure you have some plans in place.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Not armchair doctor here...

Transmission comes almost entirely from respiratory sources. Most sanitary precautions are just to make people feel better. Fomite/contact tramsmission really hasn’t played out. Washing your hands is probably enough. That’s why it’s unfortunate that airlines will talk about “deep cleaning” but will still let people take their masks off to “briefly eat or drink.”

It’s pretty safe as long as you always wear a mask and others around you wear theirs. You’re more likely to get bed bugs than COVID from a poorly cleaned airbnb. To me the real risk would be prevalence of infection and mask compliance where you go. If all you eat is carryout and you’re never indoors with others, then you’re mostly safe.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Well, it's probably better than my company who is putting me on an airplane tomorrow to mingle with workers at another facility 1500 miles away.

·
Premium Member
11,091 Posts
It isn't the normal respectful people you have to look out for, its the crazies who need to prove to you they aren't scared by getting close without a mask. 1000 miles in a brand new Boxster and you're fairly confident it won't break down sending your no-contact plans out the window? probably ok? Iffy tire shop where everyone's chin is totally protected and they want to yell at you over the sound of impact guns to explain how nails and tires work, after a night at the bar (up to two weeks ago?) nah.

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata | GTI
5,005 Posts

Transmission comes almost entirely from respiratory sources. Most sanitary precautions are just to make people feel better. Fomite/contact tramsmission really hasn’t played out. Washing your hands is probably enough. That’s why it’s unfortunate that airlines will talk about “deep cleaning” but will still let people take their masks off to “briefly eat or drink.”

It’s pretty safe as long as you always wear a mask and others around you wear theirs. You’re more likely to get bed bugs than COVID from a poorly cleaned airbnb. To me the real risk would be prevalence of infection and mask compliance where you go. If all you eat is carryout and you’re never indoors with others, then you’re mostly safe.
Well said, Doogie.

I think the main concern is your contingency plan like others mentioned. Others in my department have needed to travel and initially we had some hotels telling us that if someone tested positive, they wouldn't be allowed to stay in the room, so their only option would be their car for 2 weeks which isn't all that nice. Eventually my company got in touch with Hilton corporate and they agreed to allow infected employees to quarantine in the rooms and provide meals, even though places like Hampton Inn don't have room service.

I think you can take measures to play it safe, but I'd personally wait unless you're going nuts from cabin fever.

·
Registered
34,891 Posts
I moved one of my kids across the country during the pandemic and it honestly wasn't enjoyable to me. Tons of things were closed still, restrooms on the road are a big pain as you either need to find a sit-down restaurant or the gas stations which are 3x as busy as usual as all fast food places in states I went through still had their dining rooms (and thus bathrooms) closed. Basically it just wasn't enjoyable in any way. I was happy to be done with the move and fly home afterwards.

Maybe some others in this thread are in states that have things like fast food, museums, state attractions, and so on all opened up again, but none of that stuff was open last month for me and the 5 states I drove through. I'm tentatively planning on no vacations until 2022 at this point as there's no point when everything is closed anyway.

·
Registered
2013 Audi S5, 1967 Ford Mustang
1,689 Posts
I've done this several times since the pandemic started. I will be doing it again next week. I've flown many times. It seems fairly clear to the people I trust to inform me about what this thing is - it isn't March 2020 anymore...there are so many less unknowns....not saying its not dangerous and not saying you don't need to take basic precautions (masks in indoor public places, distancing, etc.)

COVID is a respiratory disease. Don't share indoor air with people outside of your party. Your Airbnb will be fine after whatever basic cleaning between you and the previous inhabitants. I personally would be more grossed out by the sheets....

My opinion: Take reasonable precautions and enjoy your life. I think it is the best time to travel in the US right now, by car or by plane. I don't think you'll regret it. Sorry if that offends people.....we need to start moving forward before this destroys a generation.

Not a doctor - I just get information from scientists and academics who have been consistent, transparent, and forthright in their analysis of the data; and use my common sense to fill in the gaps

·
Registered
Model 3P, AP2 S2K, 981 Boxster S
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So tentatively I had planned this trip to Central FL but I'm having second thoughts due to covid milestones and the craziness down there. In my head it makes sense but my local friends are split on the safety of the trip. Coming from Vermont where I feel so many of us have followed protocol to a T, it feels like I can make this trip safely. I'm not afraid to wear my asbestos respirator if I need to go somewhere sketchy. 😅

You have to look at what contingency plans you have if you get sick. Are you alone? Or could you have some help from a friend or nearby relative?
Could you have any issues with access to medical facility? Are you going to an area that is impacted? Can you stay at this Aibnb if you get sick and you need to hang out for a week or two? Or will they kick you out?
What contingency plans do you have for folks at home (remaining family)?
I had planned 3 weeks at this airbnb. My family and friends live nearby so yes, contingency plans in case something happens where they can come up with a solution for me if need be. My dad has been fully vaccinated but mom hasnt but should soon. Side goal was to sit 10ft apart in the driveway as I havent seen them in 14 months and they are aging. Im getting a test before I drive down.

Thank you for the information. 100% absolutely no inside building hanging for me. Not even at whole foods. Curbside grocery pickup. I want to bring my bike down, walk on the beach, get fresh air, walk in bearable weather.

It isn't the normal respectful people you have to look out for, its the crazies who need to prove to you they aren't scared by getting close without a mask. 1000 miles in a brand new Boxster and you're fairly confident it won't break down sending your no-contact plans out the window? probably ok? Iffy tire shop where everyone's chin is totally protected and they want to yell at you over the sound of impact guns to explain how nails and tires work, after a night at the bar (up to two weeks ago?) nah.
No Boxster! Im taking the Model 3 down and sleeping in the Tesla back camping style. Bringing a tire repair kit just in case but totally understand that risk. My fear would be some accident and I'm stuck riding in a tow truck somewhere.

I think you can take measures to play it safe, but I'd personally wait unless you're going nuts from cabin fever.
And thats why I'm going. This winter is doing a number on me. Don't want to get into details but I need a change.

Basically it just wasn't enjoyable in any way.
Yup, I dont expect it to be fun. I'm bringing food, pee bags if i need them, and trying to breeze through. I've flown to South East Asia 5-6 times now and from here in Vermont, its about 35 hours door to door with layovers and at least 20 in the air. I see this as the same thing. Just get through it, listen to books, eat some snacks, and you'll get there.

I even did the trip in reverse in 2019 in a short range model without adaptive cruise or AP! I expect this one to be easier with autopilot.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
You’re nut to butt with every kind of person in line at the grocery store every week...

Go on your trip lol.

Reactions: TangoRed

·
Registered
26,042 Posts
We’ve done a couple of Airbnb’s during covid. We chose units that claimed they were leaving units vacant for 24hrs between rentals. I just bring my own sanitizing stuff and ensure we open up the windows for a couple of hours. These were within the state, but we felt safe—more so than the one night I’ve spent in a hotel in the past year.

We did cancel a month long rental in Palm Springs for January, though, because of the runaway situation at the time in SoCal. We realized that the health care system in much of SoCal was effectively collapsing, and didn’t want to risk it.

·
Registered
80 Caddy, 88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,292 Posts
I'd go for it for sure. We spent a week in a house on the ocean in Maine last summer and it was the best thing we did in 2020. Even with Vermont's extreme measures, state lines don't stop covid. Just use caution and you will be fine.

·
Registered
27,844 Posts
I'm still driving 700 miles each way to the Outer banks five times a year. Make a few stops just for gas and rest rooms. I pack food and coffee for the trip.

·
Premium Member
991.2 GTS
545 Posts
Not an armchair doctor but a real one. We VRBO'd a house at new years and theres a 72 hour mandatory vacancy period. So as long as you're with the big companies (Air and VR) they should require that. If you're renting a room in someones house, you're obvioulsy at increased risk.

·
Premium Member
Bunch of Crappy VWs
3,822 Posts
As everybody else has mentioned, it's a mostly airborne virus, so as long as you aren't around other people, your risk is minimal. IMO, it's the perfect time to go on a road trip and see things you wouldn't normally spend vacation time/money to go see. We did two of them last year and will be doing another in April.

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
Honestly, it's probably better for your health to get away than to be cooped up at home the entire time during the pandemic. We took 2 road trips to VRBO rentals last year, and taking another one next month to FL. Since we're both working from home anyway, the 2 week quarantine period after the trip was no big deal.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I've been driving all through the pandemic (for work) and mostly staying in hotels. I certainly try to avoid crowds, mostly eat take-outs and keep distance from others when I can. Haven't had any Covid issues, yet :).

1 - 20 of 61 Posts