VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would a Pioneer headunit make my monsoon system sound any better? Better enough to warrant spending the couple hundred bucks? I don't think I'm going to be putting a stereo in my car so this would be the only stereo change if it would make that much of a difference.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: Is an Aftermarket HU worth it? (bmxracer182)

I havent personally heard the difference but there is a toss up..
But If you are only doing one thing:
Head unit
or
Sub, like the Infinity Bass Link...
I would say Bass Link...

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Re: Is an Aftermarket HU worth it? (darb215)

I have a basslink in my Golf, but I've read that some Jetta drivers are not satisfied with the performance.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Yes it is worth it. You can get much cleaner sound and better control with an aftermarket HU especially if it has a crossover built in to it. I have a pioneer Premier unit and it sounds great with the stock speakers. I also have a sub. So my vote is YES

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Re: Is an Aftermarket HU worth it? (andru1313)

Quote, originally posted by andru1313 »
Yes it is worth it. You can get much cleaner sound and better control with an aftermarket HU especially if it has a crossover built in to it. I have a pioneer Premier unit and it sounds great with the stock speakers. I also have a sub. So my vote is YES

Which would you go with if you were gonna do one or the other??

·
Registered
3,638 Posts

go for the head unit, my clarion head unit alone made a world of difference in my sound system... it was really like night and day... first get the head unit, then later get the sub b/c your new headunit will hopefully have rca outs on the back of ti whic will provide the absolute cleanest signal for you sub

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,507 Posts
Re: Is an Aftermarket HU worth it? (flashback)

If I've said this once, I've said it a million time:
The OEM Monsoon speakers and amp are actually very good. The spearkers are poly-cones not that foam crap most OEM's use. Wink link is the headunit. Plug a quality HU in and your system will sound 10 times better!
I started off by adding my sub/amp to the stock HU and system with line-out converters and it sounded like crap....much better after I upgraded the HU!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Is an Aftermarket HU worth it? (PlatinumGLS)

It is in the STN-DB (sound to noise ration in decibels) Ratio, good example, I had a sony deck that had 80 Sound to Noise Ratio (which means it would produce 1 decibel of audiable noise and distortion per 80 decibels of sound). that equals .0125 distortion per decibel of music. Then I went up to a kenwood (really nice deck) with 105 STN DB Ratio, which comes to .0095238 of noise per decibel of music. That means that the sound comming from my sony was roughly 24% more distorted, or less clean due to the ways it processed music. So Think about that, the sony deck was a decent after market deck too. If yours is a stocker, it is prolly more in the range of 50 - 60 STN DB Ratio. Going up to a 100 - 105 (which is a REALLY clean deck) would have half as much distortion and noise... Think about it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Re: Is an Aftermarket HU worth it? (PlatinumGLS)

It is in the STN-DB (sound to noise ratio in decibels) Ratio, good example, I had a sony deck that had 80 Sound to Noise Ratio (which means it would produce 1 decibel of audiable noise and distortion per 80 decibels of sound). that equals .0125 distortion per decibel of music. Then I went up to a kenwood (really nice deck) with 105 STN DB Ratio, which comes to .0095238 of noise per decibel of music. That means that the sound comming from my sony was roughly 24% more distorted, or less clean due to the ways it processed music. So Think about that, the sony deck was a decent after market deck too. If yours is a stocker, it is prolly more in the range of 50 - 60 STN DB Ratio. Going up to a 100 - 105 (which is a REALLY clean deck) would have half as much distortion and noise... Think about it.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Re: Is an Aftermarket HU worth it? (bmxracer182)

The 8-track from a 1977 Chevy Malibu would make the monsoon sound better. As a source unit goes, the VW unit is the worst I've ever heard, but the rest of the system is pretty good for a factory system--especially once a new headunit is installed.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
I installed an Alpine 9833 today. HUGE difference. Twice as loud, and much crisper and cleaner. And I already had an amp and subs installed, so I finally got to start hearing them.
But that cage install in a double din opening was a nightmare.. i didnt get it in very good, i might have to redo it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts