VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Banned
13,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My g/f bought .:R32 seats for her MKIV GLI a lil while back and over the winter, I plan on getting the "heated" part working. I've already purchased the in dash switches, and also the connectors for those switches and the seats...and with some "back-wiring" as well to make it easier to hook up.
The guy I bought the wiring/connectors off of also sent me a wiring diagram from the bentley I believe. I'm having some trouble figuring it all out.
Ok here's the details. I have 3 pics below labeling the wiring coming out of the 4 connectors (driver and passenger seat connector are both same):

If anyone here has a Bentley, turn to pages 97-708 and 97-709. 708 shows the driver side setup and 709 shows passenger.
Let's get the easy wires out of here first:
The black/white, black/yellow, and thin brown wires coming out of each seat connector go with the ones coming out of the switch connector. The black/white and black/yellow appear to be direct connections according the the bentley. The thin brown however, shows it coming out of the switch connector, and then into a line labeled 'c' (small c), and shows it as a connection between both of the seats. But where does C run off to? If you follow from the passenger side, it starts with the thin brown, going left brings in the thin brown from the passenger seat connector, then picks up the THICK BROWN from the passenger, crosses the page and picks up the thin brown from the switch and then the seat, and runs off...where to?
The driver side thick brown wire also just runs off the page to what is marked 'b' (small b). The passenger side one tho comes out of the connector, and loops thru what appears to be more heating elements. They are labeled Z41, Z33, and Z9, and are the backrest, side bolster, and side bolster 2 heaters. How the hell do I run this?
Finally back up to the switch connectors, apparently the passenger side wires go into one of each of the driver side ones. The driver side has 2 red/grays, 2 blue/grays, and 2 black/browns. One of each of those will connect to the same color on the passenger connector. The blue/gray I'm guessing just gets tapped into the dimmer switch wiring, so this will light up the LED inside the switches. That leaves the red/gray and black/brown. Red/gray goes throug S244 which is a 15A fuse (Fuse 44), then two plus connectors, and ends at a threaded connection? Not sure about that one. Then the black/brown goes thru S5 which is Fuse 5, and then thru a plus connection and then the ignition/starter switch.
Can anyone provide a PDF diagram for this so others can follow what I'm saying? I really want this to work, specially since I spent $60+ on switches and connectors/wiring. Am I missing anything or is it all just connecting stuff?

· Registered
556 Posts
i do interior work and i have replaced a bunch of seat heaters not only on VW's but on many other types as well....basically they run just like a rear window defroster. it's a controlled short in the wires. having said that, i've never had to splice one into a factory harness. i'd say that you would have power, ground, some sort of trigger wire for your switches...and possibly a shutoff teperature wire or something. i've seen a few come in with burn holes in the cushion, so please be sure in your wiring before you send the ol lady down the cold streets for groceries. car-b-que's are no fun. sorry i couldnt help more, thats all i have to offer.

· Banned
13,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (London Dub)

Yea I'll see what I can do about scanning it BUT if anyone has Bentley on CD and can capture what I want it'd be appreciated.
Also, I posted this in the .:R32 forums...so mods, if you JUST HAVE TO delete one of my threads, delete it over there as I'm obviously getting responses here.

· Banned
13,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (SAVwKO)

Ok here's in 600dpi the scan of the sheet I received with my wiring and connectors:

And here is what I did with some Paint editing...I added the colors to it so it's easier to see which is which, in line with the pictures I posted.

According to this, I don't see how that thin brown wire goes to ground the dimmer, unless of course that thin line marked 'c' (it's horziontal across the page) goes to ground.

· Banned
13,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ok, so if the thin brown wires from the switches connect with the dimmer grounds, what do the thin browns from the seat connectors do? Would they also connect to the same ground wire or just ground them separetely? Perhaps that thin line marked 'c' stands for ground. But why is it that the seat connectors have a thin AND thick brown wire. Do they need 2 grounds?

· Registered
10,976 Posts
Re: (bigred1)

Here is what we had so far....
Thin grey/blue to dimmer power
Thin brown to dimmer ground
Black/White to black/white on seat
Black/Yellow to black/yellow on seat.
Black/Brown to ground?
On the seat connector side:
Black/White as above
Black/Yellow to black/yellow on seat.
Thin brown to ??????
Thick brown to Ground
What do you think of this?

· Registered
556 Posts
i know VW uses brown as their ground color and most other companies use black...maybe that'll help. or maybe i'm reinserting the already known, i dunno. just bored. figured it might be an aftermarket seatheater kit using black for ground.

· Banned
13,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (bigred1)

Nothing aftermarket here. All OEM harnesses and wiring. London and myself chatted on AIM and tried figuring some of this out. He's gonna check on his g/f's Golf with heated seats as well as possibly hit up the local junkyard and rip out the wiring harness and see what he turns up. I'm expecting a co-op write-up for implementing heated seats into your non-heated MkIV soon.

· Registered
10,976 Posts
Re: (bongoRA3)

Quote, originally posted by bongoRA3 »
Thank me later

http://www.tdiparts.com/catalo...d=461

Well that makes things surprisingly easy now doesn't it.....
From what I see by the pic - you should only need 4 connections - Power, Ground, Dimmer Power, Dimmer Ground http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
For the record though - SAVwKO and I would have got it......eventually.

· Banned
13,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote, originally posted by London Dub »

Well that makes things surprisingly easy now doesn't it.....
From what I see by the pic - you should only need 4 connections - Power, Ground, Dimmer Power, Dimmer Ground http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
For the record though - SAVwKO and I would have got it......eventually.

Well...do you say we keep going? Or no? Seems I'm the one who's poked hard cuz I already bought these connectors and wiring off somebody. Ugh...what's the plan? End it and just buy these?
And if you look closer at that pic, follow the 2 white lines at the top of the loop. They aren't connected either...so that's 6 connections total.

Modified by SAVwKO at 12:59 AM 11-28-2006

· Registered
1,885 Posts
Re: (vwPanda)

btw:
Your not going to figure out the wiring that easily...the switches on the dash are basically rheostats...and I think there is a step down circuit on the factory wiring. With the wiring harness I showed you guys...the heated seats will only work when set to high...(level 5) . The rest of the levles are really low resistances ...that almost show ground.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.