VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 19 AT, SE, DSG. Before I invest in a few hundred bucks in tools, I thought I’d ask the do-it-yourself community and the I-take-it-to-my-service-station community whether or not you think doing your own basic maintenance is worth the $ and the time? “Worth it” could mean worth it cause you save $, or “worth it” could mean you do your own basic maintenance because you simply enjoy tinkering in your garage. So before I start doing my own oil changes, rotating my own tires, replacing my own filters, etc, and investing in the tools it takes, I thought I’d ask what y’all think. .

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Abso-frickin-lutely.

You need those same tools to repair anything else in life. Have them. Use them. Really not many specialized tools required just for VW services. Triple square bits for the tricky work, thats really it.

Personally, as an OCD mechanical engineer, I cannot trust joe-bob down at jiffy lube to use the correct lubricants, torque values, or attention to detail that I can. Or at least if I miss something, I have no one to blame but myself.

Paying hundreds of extra dollars, and the inconvenience of getting a ride to car drop-off/pick-up, is not for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've never found a shop I trust. I'm a cheap bastard. I hate making and waiting for appointments.

I will do my own work for as long as I can.

Things I take (or would take) my cars in for:

Alignments
Tires
Transmission Rebuild
Body Work

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Only thing I haven't tackled on my own has been a TB job on my old TDI, it was a bitter sweet $1200 check but i slept alright until VW bought it back.

Even if you want to say do your own oil change or some basic stuff, I would recommend a proper VW code reader to all owners, just so you know what's going on before you make an appointment. Knowledge of possible issues is well worth the cost of a VW specific tool.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Unless you’re completely inexperienced with a wrench and are likely to make a mistake that costs you 2-3X what you might have saved by doing it yourself, there’s never a reason not to do your own maintenance. Well, I guess the only thing to keep in mind is receipts for OEM-spec oils/fluids (brakes, DSG, etc) and some form of proof like pictures of the odometer and work being performed at the right intervals. This way your warranty will be honored in the event of a claim without any carfax proof of the servicing. But even then they could pull a classic “how do we know you didn’t mess it up” so YMMV.

·
Registered
2007 Passat Wagon (Deceased) 2015 Golf Sportwagen 2018 Tiguan
333 Posts
I have a 19 AT, SE, DSG. Before I invest in a few hundred bucks in tools, I thought I’d ask the do-it-yourself community and the I-take-it-to-my-service-station community whether or not you think doing your own basic maintenance is worth the $ and the time? “Worth it” could mean worth it cause you save $, or “worth it” could mean you do your own basic maintenance because you simply enjoy tinkering in your garage. So before I start doing my own oil changes, rotating my own tires, replacing my own filters, etc, and investing in the tools it takes, I thought I’d ask what y’all think. .
There is something to be said about “the satisfaction”of doing it yourself. If you don’t care about the intrinsic value of getting dirty every now and then, it’s ok too I guess . I have saved a ton of money over the years and also taught my kids, (now adults) how to do the basics. I have only screwed up once turned out to be a $600 oil change user error I will never make again 😀

·
Registered
2005 Passat TDI w/ 5 speed, 2019 Alltrack, 2022 R on order.
17 Posts
I've done almost everything that was not warranty. I still take the car in once in a while, as I do have the luxury of some great mechanics near by (usually if something critical happens and I need the car back on the road fast). I also don't mind some other eyes on the car once in a while either.

You are talking tires, oil, filters.
Tires, yeah, you bet. The cost is not huge for someone else to do it, but with a warm garage, I can swap tires in half an hour, which to me at least, is so much easier than booking it in and getting the car somewhere. A couple visits to a shop will pay for a nice jack and a cheap torque wrench. Add an impact to cut the labor time.

Filters, like cabin and air, you can get quality OEM or OES product for a lot cheaper than dealer, and for sure end up with a better filter than a minute lube would give you, and both are easy swaps in most vehicles. Cheaper filters and small time commitment here, I'd say worth it.

Oil and filter, depends on where you go but you'll come out cheaper regardless. I'm may be a bit fussy on oil and want particular stuff, and although minute lube is cheap, they don't always have great oil, and there are too damn many stories of wrong oils used. I'd say dealerships have always been a good experience, but they cost more. Its not a hard job to change oil, but a little more effort to get off skid plates and crawl under car, and deal with old oil. Safety maybe a little more important here as you are actually under the car! Jack stands needed, but they are not expensive. Also, i have time and a spot to do it. Its just easier than making an appointment sometimes. I've done it so many times now that it goes pretty quick. Looking at a filter wrench, and some sockets and bits, something to catch oil, but nothing crazy. Not sure if you need an OBD tool to reset your service reminders on the newer cars. or if there is a manual way.

For the list of stuff you suggested, you are not looking at a long list of tools. If you have the time and a nice place to work on the car, I'd go for it. The more you take on, the more confident you will be to take on bigger jobs. Forums like this have always been a staple too.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'd say yes. I've gotten lazier over the years, so I've brought my GSW in for the 10k,20k,30k,40k, and 50k oil changes. As simple as an oil change is, you'll be surprised how sloppy both VW dealerships and places like Midas & Meineke can be. The first 3 were done at the VW dealer. Upon pick up, dealer parks the car in neutral and doesn't apply the parking brake. I didn't complain because I kinda wanted to upgrade to 4Motion 6MT so if their wrong doing caused my car to roll down the hill 400 feet and smashed into 1 or 2 of their Atlases on the lot and totaled all of them, at least I'd have an easy way to upgrade .....I;m still driving my FWD 5MT so that didn't happen. The forth oil change, I went to a Midas. They forgot to reset the oil change light and forgot the engine cover but at least they parked it in gear (no parking brake...but still in gear). The fifth oil change, I went to a VW dealer, this time a different one. They forgot the engine cover and the light reset but they managed to park my car in gear. At Meineke, doing an oil change and tire rotation for my other VW, they didn't reset the change oil light, and didn't torque the lugs enough, one wheel not at all. That one almost fell off within 100 feet of driving. Not sure how the mechanic driving it out of the garage around the corner in front didn't notice that.

Since then, I've purchased a second floor jack for tire rotations. I spent around $50 on some tools to do basic things like air filters and cabin filters. I'll probably invest in an oil extractor at some point.

·
Registered
10,586 Posts
Since then, I've purchased a second floor jack for tire rotations. I spent around $50 on some tools to do basic things like air filters and cabin filters. I'll probably invest in an oil extractor at some point.
I never expected that owning 2 floor jacks would be such a benefit. Tire rotations are just the tip of the iceberg! Oil changes, Shock replacements, mk1 rear beam removal, transmission work... seriously they should be sold in pairs.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I never expected that owning 2 floor jacks would be such a benefit. Tire rotations are just the tip of the iceberg! Oil changes, Shock replacements, mk1 rear beam removal, transmission work... seriously they should be sold in pairs.
Yeah, for the cost that most places charge for a tire rotation, you can go out and get a 2nd floor jack. I paid like $25 for mine. I wish I had bought my second floor jack much earlier.

Reactions: Squareback3

·
Registered
350 Posts
Absolutely!

The money savings is decent but probably not going to make or break the bank one way or the other. Doing you own repairs/mods on the other hand can save you serious money sometimes.

The confidence that the job was done right and the car was treated right is priceless.

The convenience is also priceless. I changed my oil and filter on Christmas Eve. I wasn't allowed in the house when I got home from work because of presents/surprises being wrapped/prepared inside. I was going to change it on Sunday anyway so I just did it then.

Another beautiful day today.
Good morning, and in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and good night.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts

wait, why are two jacks needed? You don't jack up the front pinch weld high enough to lift both front and rear tires off the ground? Or do you not like dragging the jack around the car?

Winter to summer change over (also our rotation schedule) is about a 30-45 min job, depends if I toss some more antiseize on the rotor faces, so far what I applied 2-3 years ago has held up well and each wheel pops right off. I do have a m12 stubby 1/2" impact that helps a ton. This year I tossed winter tires on 12/18, the day before our first snow fall, no appointment needed.

Granted this is in a semi heated garage attached to our basement (garage under), that stays around 45-55f in the dead of winter.

Reactions: Squareback3

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I only bought a second car jack because my first one (harbor freight 1.5 ton aluminum racing) wouldn't pick up my pickup or tractor with confidence. So I grabbed a low-pro 3-ton. It is simply awesome to have two.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
wait, why are two jacks needed? You don't jack up the front pinch weld high enough to lift both front and rear tires off the ground? Or do you not like dragging the jack around the car?
On my smaller VWs, yeah lifting the front pinch weld point can get both the front and rear tires off the ground easily. But other cars like my wifes CX-9, not so much. Doing things like removing the stock exhaust system, it was awesome to have two rolling floor jacks to support it. Or just building and fabricating stuff in my garage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm somewhere in the middle if you want a point of reference from everyone else on here that is full DIY.

I bring mine to the dealership for all the 10K interval maintenance stuff. To me it is worth it for a few reasons.

One is time, I don't necessarily want to spend my weekend afternoon doing boring fluid changes. The dealership is pretty quick and pretty reasonably priced.

Second is I like the fact that they have done all the maintenance on the car since day one. It was a single previous owner before me, leased from them and returned to them, then I bought it CPO. I have all the records and keep adding to them.

Third is the cost of good tools, which I have been slowly accumulating over the years. I do all my own work on my older vehicles, so I have most of the tools and know how, but it has taken me about 5 years to accumulate most of the tools that make most jobs pretty easy, and I am kinda buy once, cry once about most of my tools.

I'm geared up at this point that I can do all my own maintenance once my CPO warranty ends, but I honestly haven't decided if I will, or if I will keep doing the 10Ks at the dealership.

I did do my own exhaust swap this last weekend, which I am totally game for doing stuff like that, although I'm more nervous about working on the VW then swinging wrenches on my old pickup ha

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
If you want some done right, you gotta do it yourself. Nobody is going to treat your car as good as you. You'll learn and maybe make some mistakes along the way. Money not spent on labour can be used for tools. You don't have to buy all the tools right away. Just be careful of tool acquistion disease.

·
Registered
470 Posts
If you want some done right, you gotta do it yourself. Nobody is going to treat your car as good as you. You'll learn and maybe make some mistakes along the way. Money not spent on labour can be used for tools. You don't have to buy all the tools right away. Just be careful of tool acquistion disease.
I think you can only go so far with that "done right, do it yourself" logic. I'm sure as hell not the guy to rebuild a transmission... Or do bodywork... Or paint... Or welding...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Dip your toe in slowly if you need to.
You can do those 3 things you mentioned with very minimal tools and don't need to make any sort of large "investment" to buy a whole bunch of stuff right away.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think you can only go so far with that "done right, do it yourself" logic. I'm sure as hell not the guy to rebuild a transmission... Or do bodywork... Or paint... Or welding...
To each their own, but I had to setup a full metal foundry in my garage, because I simply can't trust anyone else to cast an engine block as well as I could myself. It's exhausting, but there's just no better way.

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7,396 Posts
It's up to you how far you want to go. I had to learn bodywork and paint because some bozo lifted my car on the rocker panels instead of the correct lift points on the pinch welds. I didn't notice until many years later when my rocker panels showed rust damage at each corner where the shop lift was placed. Looking under the car, there were four identical shaped dents in the panels and cracked undercoating. It wasn't worthwhile to pay someone to fix due the age and value of the car. Bondo isn't all that hard to work with.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts