VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just learned about engine grounding, http://4grounding.com
I also did some research, and I'm having mixed thoughts. Did anyone do this to there 1.8t engine in here? How is it? Worth the $60? Any noticible changes in MPG and performance?

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Re: Is Engine Grounding worth it? (xmaciek82x)

I didnt notice any change. You can make this kit yourself for about 30 bucks. There is a long thread on here about it. 16 pages or so. It has a lot of info, a good read...

·
Banned
12,870 Posts

No change noticed here. Made my own with stereo wires and connectors. Good stuff and much cheaper than what these kits go for.

·
Registered
11,911 Posts
Re: Is Engine Grounding worth it? (improvius)

my idle isn't stumbling anymore and the part throttle surging that i get seems to have subsided. i'll let you know how things are in two weeks...

·
Banned
4,542 Posts

It made my car go faster and handle better and win more shows!
Plus now the ladies dig-me!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Is Engine Grounding worth it? (snarbles)

I made a grounding kit this week cost me a total of $15 after tax. for 8 gold conectors and 7 feet of 6 gauge coper wire. Dont know if it was worth it or not yet but it was really easy. Some guy made a kit and dynoed it before and after and he gained 1.2Hp and 9TQ. If that power is from the grounding kit then $15 and an ugly engine bay seems worth it.

·
Registered
6,574 Posts
Re: Is Engine Grounding worth it? (Dog_Eater)

Quote, originally posted by Dog_Eater »
I made a grounding kit this week cost me a total of $15 after tax. for 8 gold conectors and 7 feet of 6 gauge coper wire. Dont know if it was worth it or not yet but it was really easy. Some guy made a kit and dynoed it before and after and he gained 1.2Hp and 9TQ. If that power is from the grounding kit then $15 and an ugly engine bay seems worth it.

I highly doubt that the grounding kit gave someone 9TQ!!!

Just my 0.2

·
Registered
861 Posts

I just installed my own custom kit, and it did do a few things that I'm happy with. The radio doesn't whine so much anymore, and my bass tube is bumping louder than ever, I also have really noticed an improvement in reception. The car doesn't stumble like it used to, every 15 to 20 sec. And the power delivery is much smoother. I am still on the same tank of gas so I'll have to post about that later. But the engine bay doesn't have to look ugly; if you do it yourself you can make the wires whatever length you like and route them cleanly. I'll try and take a picture of my angine bay if I can get it onto this site.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Re: Is Engine Grounding worth it? (Seanathan)

I had the kit from http://4grounding.com for my former 24v and I could definitly tell a difference. Everthing was just smoother, the throttle response is better and even down shifting was nicer, no more stumbling. Accelerating was smoother and felt a bit more power. I ordered one for my new 1.8T I would think it would do the same for the 1.8T.
Here are some pics of the kit. (The wires are kind of hard to see, but they are the lighter black, almost a bit brown.)

It is a great kit, and it is hard to tell that it is even there. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by GLIguy at 6:18 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Re: Is Engine Grounding worth it? (judoGTI)

And why wouldnt a VW engineer think of doing this? or this something modded cars will benefit from..

Chris

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Re: Is Engine Grounding worth it? (Johnny Blaze)

I was averaging about 26.8 MPG with my typical mix of city/hwy driving. Then I switched to BKR7E plugs and the grounding kit. The last 3 tanks I went through averaged a bit over 28 MPG.
I haven't noticed any other improvements, but then I haven't dyoned my car, and I hardly ever listen to the radio. But for around $25, I see no reason why anyone shouldn't try this.
EDIT: Oh yeah, and my significant other made me do a kit on her WRX at about the same time. She tells me that she has a noticeable increase in MPG.
-Imp

Modified by improvius at 10:39 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Re: Is Engine Grounding worth it? (Johnny Blaze)

Quote, originally posted by Johnny Blaze »
And why wouldnt a VW engineer think of doing this? or this something modded cars will benefit from..

Chris

to cut cost

·
Registered
1,925 Posts

Quote, originally posted by xmaciek82x »
I just learned about engine grounding, http://4grounding.com
I also did some research, and I'm having mixed thoughts. Did anyone do this to there 1.8t engine in here? How is it? Worth the $60? Any noticible changes in MPG and performance?

This has to be one of the silliest things I have seen in years.
Back in the stone age some of the late 80's and early 90's Vw's had some grounding issues. After some of the cars were on the road for a while they would become hard to start (especialy true with car exposed to harsh winters). What was found is that after time there would be some corrosion on the contacts for the ground. At the time the fix was to either clean and replace it, or install a supplemental ground.
Jeff

1 - 20 of 81 Posts