VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 188 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when you lease a car, you agree on the purchase price after the lease. This is a deal made between you and the finance company, not the dealer. In my case, through Ford Motor Credit. Now I'm looking to cut a check for the car and there's this markup attached to it and they're saying I MUST go to the dealer to get the car inspected. I can't cut a check to Ford and receive a title, I must go to a dealership and have them charge me this markup. Nevermind they're not taking the car back, they gotta inspect the mileage (reason given by them). Not that they'll charge me for overage on miles (which I don't have, 30k miles on a 39k lease). They just gotta inspect it. And charge me $500 over what we agreed upon 3 years ago.

No way around it, doesn't matter it didn't mention it in the original deal, they say "this is our policy, sorry".

So really, they're just saying, "Give us $500" for literally no reason and obviously making **** up to make it happen. WTF are we that far gone that we just allow this? Dealership gonna rob us so give them $500 because they asked for it?

Why does the dealership even need to be involved here? In this transaction their involvement was over the second I signed the lease papers. Chase doesn't make me go to the bank with the car to buy out a finance and charge me $500, why should Ford Motor Credit?

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
716 Posts
I cannot comprehend why on Earth the dealership needs to inspect the car when you’ve had it for years and paid monthly on it.

I hate to be that guy, but your first mistake was to lease it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Sounds like this is the way the dealer or Ford Credit tries to cash in on the recent rise in used car values.

I don't have any idea why the dealer would need or want to inspect it, so that's puzzling. Seems like Ford Credit would just up the price and leave the dealership out of it.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read over your contract , find the loop hole. And fight
I'm not even sure I need to do that, I'm betting a BBB complaint, small claims court filing and twitter post would yield me -$500 whether I'm "technically" right or not as I'm clearly right from a common sense standpoint.

It's really just a matter of effort and whether or not that effort is worth $500. At least with admin, delivery and other bull**** they get you on the way in, you're signing on the dotted line with those things spelled out. Hitting you after the fact when your deal is done is a different level of douchery.

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,509 Posts
I would give Ford Motor Credit a call and nicely tell them you are willing to pay the amount on the original contract. Don't even mention the letter. Inquire where you need to send the check. See what they say.

I have a feeling the letter might be from the dealership rather than Ford Motor Credit. If not, Ford Motor Credit should have some explaining to do.

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
37,212 Posts
I would give Ford Motor Credit a call and nicely tell them you are willing to pay the amount on the original contract. Don't even mention the letter. Inquire where you need to send the check. See what they say.

I have a feeling the letter might be from the dealership rather than Ford Motor Credit. If not, Ford Motor Credit should have some explaining to do.
Agreed, who sent the letter? You shouldn't have to go to the dealership at all as this is a transaction between you and Ford Motor Credit, the dealership has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
As someone who works in automotive finance, I agree that you should go to Ford Credit to resolve. They may even raise the issue up the chain of command that the dealer is engaging in unfair practices.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Been there, done that. "All I can do is give you the amount owed, I can't tell you anything else, you need to go to a dealer, any dealer."

When I push for my version of "If not, Ford Motor Credit should have some explaining to do" I got, "Sorry this is the policy, happy to put a supervisor on the phone to tell you that this is still the policy."

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That “letter” looks pretty unofficial to the untrained eye. Did the dealership do that in MS Paint? Is it a formal business letter with business address / contact information, or just a slip of paper someone put under your wiper blade?
The letter was from a Ford dealer that I had walked into last month discussing a trade that never happened and they printed it out.

So I called up Ford Credit to be like, "so I'm just going to cut you a check" and when I got the same amount that the dealership gave of $16,944 and that I still had to go to a Ford dealership I was like, "wait, what?"

Now, I'm here.

·
Registered
2020 718 Cayman GT4 (Miami Blue)
1,443 Posts
The letter was from a Ford dealer that I had walked into last month discussing a trade that never happened and they printed it out.

So I called up Ford Credit to be like, "so I'm just going to cut you a check" and when I got the same amount that the dealership gave of $16,944 and that I still had to go to a Ford dealership I was like, "wait, what?"

Now, I'm here.
I mean... at that point it sounds like you're ****-outta-luck. It sounds like some BS processing fee that FMC / Ford Credit does and it'll cost you more than $500 to fight for that $500.

·
Registered
7.4, 5.7. 2.0T
18,509 Posts
Been there, done that. "All I can do is give you the amount owed, I can't tell you anything else, you need to go to a dealer, any dealer."

When I push for my version of "If not, Ford Motor Credit should have some explaining to do" I got, "Sorry this is the policy, happy to put a supervisor on the phone to tell you that this is still the policy."
I would escalate it to a supervisor at that point. Ask where does it say on the contract that the additional $500 is required and where does it say on contract that the sale must be completed at a dealership.

As you know, there are pluses and minuses when leasing a vehicle through the manufacturer bank. Them pressuring you to complete transactions at the dealership is one of the minuses.

Lastly, I am not sure which Ford vehicle you leased but I would maybe ask a vehicle specific forum or a vehicle specific FB group to see if anyone has had similar experience.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Are you sure it wasn’t related to the lease buyout for a trade? A lot of finance groups are wise to the ways of the Carmax buyout flip and have additional fees tacked on to address. Ask how much it is for you to buy it out? Vroom isn’t buying leased vehicles for that reason.

1 - 20 of 188 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.