VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about the possibility of having a hatch window that rolls down. Is it possible, has it been done? I know that it may resemble something like OJ's Bronco but I think it would be sweet to just roll the window and throw shiz in tha hatch. Discuss...

·
Registered
27,098 Posts
Re: Is it possible or has it ever been done... (vdubsteez)

As I recall, this was discussed once before and the general consensus is that it wouldn't work because of bracing and whatnot in the hatch. The window is also part of the structure and removing it would greatly weaken the rear hatch.
Something along those lines.

·
Registered
9,008 Posts
Re: Is it possible or has it ever been done... (vdubsteez)

Quote, originally posted by vdubsteez »
I was just thinking about the possibility of having a hatch window that rolls down. Is it possible, has it been done? I know that it may resemble something like OJ's Bronco but I think it would be sweet to just roll the window and throw shiz in tha hatch. Discuss...

My moms 4runner has this and Ive always wanted it too so when the windows are down I create a smaller drag coefficient

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Nope. Can't do it.
All the glass contributes to the structural integrity of the car.
Also, a 30 second look at your hatch will make it pretty obvious that there is nowhere for the glass to "roll down" into (shape of hatch is narrower than the window glass at the bottom).
Search. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Re: (ubermensch)

Quote »
All the glass contributes to the structural integrity of the car.

I don't think the hatch glass is struct of the car is it?
Anyway.. the S3 has "pop out" windows on the side.. and the 4 door golf doesn't even have any stablizers... so i doubt it would make that much of a difference if you made the sides "pop otu"

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (SAPJetta)

Quote, originally posted by SAPJetta »
I don't think he was talking about the side windows, but the rear hatch window.

I was referring to the hatch but now that its a subject of conversation, is that posible too, to make the 2 rear windows pop out for people who sit in the back seat (as rare as that is).

·
Registered
6,560 Posts
Re: (footose_reloaded)

Quote, originally posted by footose_reloaded »

I don't think the hatch glass is struct of the car is it?
Anyway.. the S3 has "pop out" windows on the side.. and the 4 door golf doesn't even have any stablizers... so i doubt it would make that much of a difference if you made the sides "pop otu"

it's expensive i think someone got a qoute for over 800 to do it, and then parts pricing on top of that.
i have wanted to do a popout window but not for that much just not worth it to me

·
Registered
6,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote, originally posted by footose_reloaded »
what about the sides?

If youre confused as to what were discussing about the sides, the answer is that driving a two door with permanently shut rear windows, is it possible to have pop out windows in the rear that are structurally ok?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Re: (vdubsteez)

Id not do it, Ive detailed enough 4 runners with the rear window that roll down and the ceiling is always full of soot. (the gas exhaust rolls inward toward the dash, makes everything black) especially the ceiling... http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif keep the glass closed.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Re: (vdubsteez)

Quote »
If youre confused as to what were discussing about the sides, the answer is that driving a two door with permanently shut rear windows, is it possible to have pop out windows in the rear that are structurally ok?

I'm not confused! heh..
I ment to say.. like "What about the sides" as in.. are they structured components of the vehicle. and if so, how come the 4 door is strong enough?

·
Registered
436 Posts

There is no way that the glass contributes to the "structural integrity" of the car. If there were any stresses across the glass, it would crack/break under heavy turning.
That's just ridiculous.

·
Registered
35,225 Posts
Re: (EgoTrip)

Quote, originally posted by EgoTrip »
There is no way that the glass contributes to the "structural integrity" of the car. If there were any stresses across the glass, it would crack/break under heavy turning.
That's just ridiculous.

That is exactly what I was thinking!!! Maybe no-one here has ever played with glass!!! Put any serious stress on it (like it would have in a car) and it will break!

·
Registered
6,376 Posts

Not possibly for the rear. Remember the latch mechanism and for many, the rear wiper. But also think about the size of the window and the size that it would have to fit into. And then there's the curvature of the hatch so ya, I don't think it's possible w/o EXPENSIVE mods. Also remember that the windows rests on sheet metal to be attatched to the car. I will tell you that there are about 5(?) braces in the back crossing that would prevent it.

·
Registered
27,085 Posts
Re: (CapeGLS)

Quote, originally posted by CapeGLS »
That is exactly what I was thinking!!! Maybe no-one here has ever played with glass!!! Put any serious stress on it (like it would have in a car) and it will break!

cape, while i agree that glass isnt that strong, i have heard of it being structural on golfs. i'll check out some sources and i'll see if i can confirm or deny this fact.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.