VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm currently researching information for my future VR6 swap.

I bought a VR6 12V engine from a Passat 1993 which mean the engine is OBD1. The only question I have that wasn't answer in another discussion is : Is it possible to run a OBD1 engine in a car that is all OBD2 related or the electronic of the engine is not related to the electronic of the cabin (radio etc.)

Hope someone could help me understand the situation

Thanks

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I believe that you can probably physically install it all and make it all work (all CE2 wiring), jowever the diagnostic (OBD 2) port won't work, and you'll need to check the emissions regulations in your area. If you're required to have an emissions inspection it most likely won't meet the regulations, most of which prohibit back dating of emissions systems.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Golf R, 2001 Cabrio VR6
1,107 Posts
Hi,
I put a '96 VR6 into my '01 Cabrio. The wiring for the OBD1 is different from OBD2 but you'll probably have more problems related to the donor car being a Passat. I highly recommend converting your VR6 to an OBD2 specification, which there are numerous threads on in the Mk3 forums. The main difference is the coil pack, ECU, and throttle body controller.

Even going from an OBD2 Jetta into an OBD2 Cabrio required about two weeks of wiring harness construction. You will have to be literate in Volkswagen wiring diagrams or become literate in the process. That said, anything can be done with appropriate compromises. My car works exactly as it should except the original four cylinder tachometer indicates 150% of the actual value and I previously had it registered in an emissions testing county, which would flag an error for ECU VIN mismatch at every inspection. If your location tests emissions via the OBD2 port, you will not be able to pass emissions with an OBD1 ECU.
Good luck. Persevere - it's worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.