VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it safe to have a performance cam without the chip? Can the vw scheduled matinence find it? Autotech is having a sale and I was thinking of purchasing a performace cam from them now and later on down the road get a chip(I have heard that they can detect the chip). I was worried that when I take my car in for the sheduled matinence that they would be able to find the cam, can they find it with there diognostic tool? and is it safe for my car to have a performace cam without the performance chip?

[Modified by gargameliob, 8:09 AM 12-3-2001]

· Registered
1,650 Posts
Re: Is it safe to run a performance cam without a chip? (gargameliob)

Well what kind of car do you have? If it's '96 or later then yes it's pretty easy for VW to tell if you have a cam. I don't know about the warranty implications. Is it safe to run a cam with out a chip? Yes the only thing a chip might help, over and beyond the extra hp, is to prevent an engine check light and to increase the idle to smooth things out.

· Registered
370 Posts
Re: Is it safe to run a performance cam without a chip? (Fast2.0L)

as of right now .. im running on 87 octane with an autotech 260 cam ... intake and a stock chip... next i will be getting an exhaust ... i pushed my car all the way to 7000 rpm and still doesn't ping .. so yes i guess u can run a cam without a chip first .. but if u get a cam gear with the cam ( i didn't yet) .. and advance it .. it might start pinging...

· Registered
370 Posts
Re: Is it safe to run a performance cam without a chip? (queue)

yea i know (there is a rev limiter and it shuts up the accerlator but u still can hit the car to 7000 rpm)..so i just push it that far if u know what i mean queue

· Registered
287 Posts
Re: Is it safe to run a performance cam without a chip? (DJ MiCRoByTe)

please explain... on the flat there is no way... down a hill you could, but then the ecu would be in decel mode and there would be zero fuel going to the cylinders anyway, and therefore there would be no way that you could hit 7000 rpm and have it be a fueled 7000 rpm.... unless there is some trick. so if there is no fuel there is no pinging.
i would be greatful if you could explain.

· Registered
370 Posts
Re: Is it safe to run a performance cam without a chip? (queue)

quote:[HR][/HR]please explain... on the flat there is no way... down a hill you could, but then the ecu would be in decel mode and there would be zero fuel going to the cylinders anyway, and therefore there would be no way that you could hit 7000 rpm and have it be a fueled 7000 rpm.... unless there is some trick. so if there is no fuel there is no pinging.
i would be greatful if you could explain.[HR][/HR]​
queue your on the money !!!.. it was on the 405s ramp downhill near santa monica late nite
very good point queue cause when i reached the red line it did stop the fuel from coming in (alas so no pinging).. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
45 Posts
Re: Is it safe to run a performance cam without a chip? (DJ MiCRoByTe)

Is it safe to take the engine that high above the stock rev limit with just chip? No other mods needed? I wn to get a cam, cam gear, and garret chip and was just wondering about that. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.