VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I have my 83 4 door with a 1.8 8V from a 87 GTI and all I have done is a Cam 268 and exaust and new fuel system with an A2 cooling system. Can I turbo this thing without any problems or what am I going to run into?

·
Registered
688 Posts
Re: Is it safe to turbo? (Socialoutcast)

as long as you put in all the precautionary items and your engine is up to snuff, you *should* be fine.
audi 5000 WUR
an intercooler
volvo fuel dizzy for more fuel
and possibly a crap-load more stuff depending how much boost you would like to run. all the way up to rebuilding the engine with stronger components. your wallet is your limit and detonation is your enemy. running rich is never as bad as running lean.
with those 3 things listed above, i plan on running 6-8 conservative PSI.
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by 82vwRabbit at 12:53 AM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Re: Is it safe to turbo? (82vwRabbit)

I would add Knock sensor ignition box to 82vwRabbit's list.
Also, if your 87 GTI 1.8L engine is a 10:1 compression engine, you might be better starting with a JH engine in its place.
And finally, I'm not sure about that cam with a turbo. Turbocharged engines like very little overlap on the cam. Normally aspirated performance cams tend to have more overlap than you want on a turbo engine. Cams designed specifically for forced induction (turbocharger or supercharger) will have higher lift and longer duration, but very little valve overlap.

Modified by Racer_X at 6:17 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
6,631 Posts
Re: Is it safe to turbo? (Racer_X)

10:1 is high for boost, but with proper tuning and high octane fuel you can get more power out of it with less boost, which may be desirable for your application http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Banned
10,156 Posts
Re: Is it safe to turbo? (Racer_X)

Quote, originally posted by Racer_X »
I would add Knock sensor ignition box to 82vwRabbit's list.

If you are to add a KS system, dont forget to add a oneway valve to the vacuum line as the KS brain is not boost sensitive.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Is it safe to turbo? (dino01)

What e mail did u send that too it might be one that I don't have anymore.
Also I have a dif fuel dizy on there it's one that was re spun for more fuel and the engine was just rebuilt. Right now it pulls like 16.5 in the 1/4 and I want to abb like a 8lbs boost. WIll this make a BIG differance in power or am I just looking at like 15-20 power gain?

Modified by Socialoutcast at 3:02 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Re: Is it safe to turbo? (Socialoutcast)

8 lbs of boost on stock compression is kinda dangerous without the proper fueling. for your setup Id ditch the big cam for a regular or 260 grind, get jh bottem, g60 bottem or stack gaskets, and get a t3 turbo. do it right the first time and it will be reliable...IE go cheep on fuel, boost controler, turbo or other critical parts and pay the price. but you can get junkyard intercoolers, and turbos ready for rebuild. look at the Turbo Diesel parts you can put on your stock gasser. I'm looking to boost my car no more than 10 lbs on a 2.0 obdII car and will definatel make over 150...I'm hoping for the 165-185whp mark. my friend is goaling for 225whp with his setup which is a homebrew kit based on the atp setup...good luck and do lots of research before you buy part one...the forced induction forum is a good start, and get the corkey bell book...forgot what its called.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts