VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp, I hate that I have the chance to make one of these post but yesterday my wife and I were rear ended in Salt Lake City. A little background. We were getting onto I-15 south from downtown SLC in my wife's JKU when we started to slide on a very icy onramp. Ahead of us we saw many other cars that had already crashed but we were able to stop without hitting anything. A few seconds after we had stopped we were hit from behind by a Toyota Sequoia going way too fast.

I also have video of it from a front and rear camera that I may post later when I get it off of the SD card.

On with the nasty pictures.

20210321_075611 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210321_075243 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210321_082408 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210321_090230 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210321_090300 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210321_114039 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210321_090312 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210321_090505 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

20210321_101801 by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

·
Registered
2020 Civic Type R, 2014.5 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
2,236 Posts
Looks like a goner to me. Everything from the B pillar back appears tweaked out of alignment.

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
Hmm. Even with the body having been "accordioned" it might not be totaled if the frame is okay. You can always put another tub on it. The driveline seems to be entirely unharmed.

[/wishful thinking]

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm. Even with the body having been "accordioned" it might not be totaled if the frame is okay. You can always put another tub on it. The driveline seems to be entirely unharmed.

[/wishful thinking]
I was able to drive it off of the road and to the repair shop. The only thing that felt off was the alignment was off. Probably from the front right corner hitting the barrier.

No airbags went off but the driver seat back has collapsed.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Given the stupid resale of Jeeps, probably not totaled, even though it should be.
No kidding. We looked to see if there were any 2017 JKU Sports just like this but stock for sale right now. Just in case we need similar values. We found one that is exactly the same, including the mileage, but completely stock. Pretty much exactly how my wife bought it in 2017. It is listed at $29k right now which is a couple thousand MORE then what my wife paid new three years ago. Crazy!

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
6,108 Posts
I'll guess it's fixable, but totaled at insurance rates. Door bothers me. It might be on the edge enough you could negotiate it one way or the other too if you have a strong preference.

I hope you're both OK?

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Sad! Drove to the slc airport yesterday evening going speed limit and I was the slowest vehicle. I-15 and 215 coming from Sandy.. I see all these cars/drivers going way to fast when it’s icy on bold tires. No distance, on the phone and the list goes on.

I hope you will made right!

·
Registered
34,663 Posts
Sounds like you made it out without injuries. That certainly could've ended far worse than it did. Buy a lottery ticket!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll guess it's fixable, but totaled at insurance rates. Door bothers me. It might be on the edge enough you could negotiate it one way or the other too if you have a strong preference.

I hope you're both OK?
Yeah, we are both OK. Sore but no injuries.

Shouldn’t this thread be titled “Death to Smoochy?”

I was afraid when I saw this that it might be this Jeep. Sorry to hear and I hope you guys are ok.
If it is totaled it will be Death to Smoochy. :cry:

We did have two of our dogs with us but not Adventure Cat thank goodness. Our dachshund Mya started screaming and was having a seizure after the accident. It was terrifying to hear at the time but she went to the emergency vet and after some tests and observation was diagnosed with only a concussion. Our other dog Romeo seemed to be just fine afterwards but was checked out to be sure. It was found that he had the lens in his left eye dislodged and shot forward within his eyeball. He will need surgery but it can wait until we get home in a couple of days. Waiting to hear back about these two has been the worst for us but we are glad they are, for the most part, in good shape.

Romeo is the one in the back and Mya is the wiener dog in the front. Tybalt in the middle doesn't like to go on trips so he stays home which he is totally fine with.

The Littles by Wayne Larson, on Flickr

·
Registered
7,082 Posts
I am also saying it's totaled.

If you are staying in SLC, our very own Dempsey Bowling works at Doug Smith CJDR down in American Fork and can likely slot you into a brand new Wrangler for a very good deal.

·
Premium Member
3 MQB hatchbacks and some Fords.
832 Posts
Glad you're all okay and the pups make it out okay as well!

1. It's probably totaled.
2. Jeep people in my area wouldn't have even reported this or bother to fix it.

·
Registered
18,731 Posts
Wow, good thing you're OK. That Toyota is a mess.

I might forego having a jerry can mounted on the bumper in the future. :unsure:

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
Wranglers hold allot of value. It looks tweaked but last month i sent a frame to a body shop on an 18 JLU Rubi. So you never know.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts