VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time listener, first time caller... didnt' see any active forums covering this particular problem
I used Trend in NJ (which most of the posts seem to think is a pretty good dealership)and another in Edison , and the Asst. GMs said they can't install an OEM Navigation unit, only @ the factory (rec'd, like most Vortexers, to have their 3rd party installer put in an equally 3rd party Navi). I know its not the most cost efficient way to go, but does anyone know dealers in NJ or east PA that can do it.. or can any of them do it? I saw prices some people were quoting from dealers.. can some do it and some not?
Love my b6 so far but sincerely regret not getting Navi installed... especially w/ 5000mi in a little over 2 months.. (ps currently base radio)

· Registered
320 Posts
Re: is OEM navi install even possible?? (dap12321)

I have seen the OEM nav on ebay for about 800, now you would need to do your homework to make sure that it is the correct software, wiring etc....I haven't looked into it any further....
I'm sure some others on here have though......

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: is OEM navi install even possible?? (8rings)

but in other words, you'd have to buy it yourself and either a) bring it to the dealer or b) install yourself.. going to a dealer and saying "throw that extra oem gps unit in" isn't gonna cut it (knew that was too simple)

Modified by dap12321 at 3:05 PM 8-18-2006

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: is OEM navi install even possible?? (TVK)

that second link looks pretty good.. except for the under-construction beginner's guide.. its does look pretty simple for the interior.. my only concern, really, is the antenna... because i cheaped out at the last minute i don't have the GPS/XM/Sirius antenna and that, i think, is a major project.. i'm loathe to start drilling into the top of the passat and putting it on the dashboard would probably give me the same so-so GPS reception of the number of on-dash systems i've used

Modified by dap12321 at 3:03 PM 8-18-2006

· Registered
123 Posts

Quote, originally posted by dap12321 »
that second link looks pretty good.. except for the under-construction beginner's guide.. its does look pretty simple for the interior.. my only concern, really, is the antenna... because i cheaped out at the last minute i don't have the GPS/XM/Sirius antenna and that, i think, is a major project.. i'm loathe to start drilling into the top of the passat and putting it on the dashboard would probably give me the same so-so GPS reception of the number of on-dash systems i've used
Modified by dap12321 at 3:03 PM 8-18-2006

I install the antenna under dashboard behind the cluster, no drilling at all. I have no problems with gps reception.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: is OEM navi install even possible?? (TVK)

any advice/guidance/directions that you know of on that antenna system you've got going? that sounds like a pretty easy solution.. i don't guess you can do that from the same access point as the radio..

Modified by dap12321 at 3:20 PM 8-19-2006

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

On second thought here... it looks like if you want the DVD version in the US you have to find a 1K0-035-197-C they're hard to find and very expensive... the european version.. i think it ends 198 is cheap (sub-$1000) but is probably hot and doesn't allow you to enter addresses. the alternative, i suppose, is the CD version, which never actually came out for passat.. this also means you can have something like 3 states in at a time and you ahve to swap CDs each time...
does this sound about right to everyone? i've been looking at 500+ posts on this and my eyes are starting to bleed, lol.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.