VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend called me up and he's trying to sell me some wheels he bought for his beetle... They are Porsche Fuch reps and since I plan on doing up an older Porsche one day I thought I would consider these wheels maybe for my Mk2 in the mean time to experiment with some other wheels...

Here is my issue: he sent me the specs for this wheel and they are 17x7 with a 5.5" back space.. 5.5" converted to mm is 139.7mm ... I'm not sure if this is how you would convert this, can anyone explain this to me? With 5x130 adapters will these work on my mk2 ?

Thanks guys..... :thumbup: flame suite ON! :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Soooooo....

Back Space: 5.5"
Over-all width: 7" divided by 2 is 3.5"

5.5"- 3.5" = 2" (+50.8 ET)

Sound right? Lol :popcorn:

Any guesses on the size of 5 x 130 adapters I would need to pull this off to be flush with my wheel wheels or a little tucked?

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
backspacing is actual mounting surface of the wheel to very backside of the wheel offset is based upon wheel width where the tires are mounted (not taking into account the width of the inner and outer lips. if you measure the actual width they will be wider than advertised width ....

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
backspacing is actual mounting surface of the wheel to very backside of the wheel offset is based upon wheel width where the tires are mounted (not taking into account the width of the inner and outer lips. if you measure the actual width they will be wider than advertised width ....
are you trying to confuse this kid, your confusing me :sly:

also, are you sure that backspacing is measured between the true edge of the wheel and not the inner bead :confused:

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
most off the shelf adapters are 25mm. h&r adapters can be safely narrowed to 17mm. adaptec will do 18mm i believe in 4-100 to 5-130

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
most off the shelf adapters are 25mm. h&r adapters can be safely narrowed to 17mm. adaptec will do 18mm i believe in 4-100 to 5-130

So we all agree that I need an adapter around the 18mm-20mm to make these 'tuck' slightly under my wheel wells?

Thanks everyone for their input, I'm just sitting back reading the posts :) :popcorn:p

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
are you trying to confuse this kid, your confusing me :sly:

also, are you sure that backspacing is measured between the true edge of the wheel and not the inner bead :confused:
:popcorn:

backspacing is the actual measurement from the mounting pad (where the wheel mounts to the car) to the backside of the wheel which you would lay a flat edge across the wheel and measure to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
et 22 (which is an et 40 - 18mm ) is a very safe offset
Yep, and can be pushed out more if desired. :)

Thanks for the support, and PM sent Diesel.

-Matt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts