VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Re: Is OK to mount Amps under the rear deck on a Jetta? (GTI4ME)

I'm assuming it'd be okay. Though i remember reading that placing the amps facing up might displace the heat better. I'm not too positive though. Try making an amp rack. Have a shelf come attached to your rear deck-come down a few inches and place the amps on that shelf. It'd look pretty nice if you carpet that puppy up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
436 Posts

Everyone says it's a bad idea, why? Did they give specific reasons? I don't but the heat thing, a lot of the "show" systems I've seen put the amps under plexiglass or in some really bad places.
I'm mounting my Class D sub amp under the rear deck, mostly to keep it as out of the way as possible.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Is OK to mount Amps under the rear deck on a Jetta? (Str8desi84)

That's a good idea
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I thought since I don't run the amps for very long periods it would be ok

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

a friend had an amp mounted upside down under the rear deck of his A2 Jetta..
one night on a trip.. him and 2 friends had to sleep in the car...
so much condensation built up on the back window that it dribbled down, and shorted out the amp when he started the car in the morning.
That is the only danger i can see with this situation.
(but then again.. how often do you have 3 people sleeping in your car all night?)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts

This will be debated for sure, because there are so many variables. Some amplifiers require their heatsinks to do most of the work and positioned in a certain way. Others have auxilary cooling besides heatsinks, and will last just as long no matter how its mounted. Follow the manufacturer's instruction (certainly if you want to maintain the warranty) but if there is no guidance, try it out and if the amp seems to get excessively hot, move it.

[Modified by cchristensen, 5:51 AM 2-5-2003]

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Is OK to mount Amps under the rear deck on a Jetta? (cchristensen)

Thanks for all the input
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif I know for sure there will not be 3 dudes sleeping in my car
I have JL amps and they say nay on the upside down idea. I guess cause they rely on the heatsinks

·
Registered
470 Posts

GTI4ME,
I have had a JL 300/4 installed upside down below my package deck for over 1 1/2 years with no problems. My installation looks similar to the one below (note: the one below is not mine):
http://users.murtari.com/ejack/Walddrache/Car Shots/Amp1B.jpg
The owners manual for the 300/4 rates various installation orientations from best (vertical, heat sink fins up) to worse (vertical, heat sink fins down). They rate the horizontal, upside down orientation as being "fair," which *I interpret* as "not optimal, but not unacceptable." In the 1 1/2 years that my amp has been installed this way, I have never had a thermal protection shutdown or had any other problems with the amp.
As they say, however, your mileage may vary, depending on how loud you listen to music, how hot the weather gets, etc.
Hope this helps,
Brian

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Is OK to mount Amps under the rear deck on a Jetta? (MojoMan)

Thanks for the info Brian!!!
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif The pic of the installation is exactly what I'm looking to do. I put the big Jetta trunk to good use

·
Registered
516 Posts

As an installer with over 30 years (yes 30) experience I would say no problem...If an amp heats up due to position get rid of it and buy a better one.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts

I had my amp mounted upside down on the underside of the rear deck of my '86 Jetta. The only porblems I had with my Coustic amp were during the summer and te amp over-heating when I was really blasting my music. Your situation may be different I was in Reno, Nevada at the time, nice dry hot summers (not as hot as Las Vegas though). I hope all works out for you.

·
Registered
21 Posts

THE REASON THAT YOU WANT TO MOUNT THE AMP RIGHT SIDE UP IS BECAUSE HEAT RISES. AN AMP IS DESIGNED TO DISAPATE THE HEAT OVER IT'S HEAT SINK. SENCE HEAT RISES, IF THE AMP IS UPSIDEDOWN THE HEAT JUST SITS IN THE AMP.

IN THEORY OF COURSE

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.