VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading in the forums about cleaning under the hood with it, and it said to cover the paint surfaces because it was bad for the paint. Then I read that the stuff is good for cleaning the lower rocker panels were it is painted. Does it have to be diluted or what thanks a lot.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Re: Is simple green ok on paint? (vwguy3)

It should be diluted, use the Simple Green Automotive, its diluted, don't ask me what the ratio is.
I recently ran out, but have the large bottle of concentrate and refilled my Simple Green automotive bottle about 60simple green 40 water (I know-way too high), and everything seems fine-good on rims for brake dust

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: Is simple green ok on paint? (vwguy3)

Simple Green Automotive has a little citric acid in it to break up grease. I'd steer clear on paint. If you do, wipe it clean quickly and rewax.
Regular SG diluted is a decent cleaner.
Check out SG's website...TONS of information on the product and dilution tables for all the uses.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Re: Is simple green ok on paint? (Deception)

There has to be a legit reason the US Air Force has banned the stuff from coming any where close to their machines.......i'll use it on a race car since 9 times out of 10 the paint is shot anyways, but on my daily driver.... http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Re: Is simple green ok on paint? (Red GTi VR6)

It could be 101 different reasons.
It could be something on the MSDS doesn't jive w/some of the complex proprietary avionics, ot the fact that the base chemicals come from a vendor the government doesn't deal with, etc.
Spray ANY surfactant cleaner on bare, untreated aluminum (like you likely see all over a plane) and there will be an adverse reaction.
Doesn't mean the SG is bad. It's fine. Hence it sells and sells all day long.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Re: Is simple green ok on paint? (Jman5000)

I know in my experiences in using it on race cars to quickly get the track grime off once you get it on anything polished (wheels etc...) it leaves a white film that has been extremely difficult to remove....it's just to harsh (IMO) to use on my automobile...now the race cars are a different story

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.