VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Is there anywhere you can buy a maf insert for a 2.5?
If you mean the MAF sensor, just Google it. There are bunches of sources out there. These sensors last a very long time if you spray them ONLY with MAF sensor cleaner and don't touch them or bump them. They are very sensitive. Also, if you have a K&N type of air filter, do not apply too much oil on it because it can coat the sensor elements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you mean the MAF sensor, just Google it. There are bunches of sources out there. These sensors last a very long time if you spray them ONLY with MAF sensor cleaner and don't touch them or bump them. They are very sensitive. Also, if you have a K&N type of air filter, do not apply too much oil on it because it can coat the sensor elements.
I am making a custom intake and it says I should be using an insert tgat can be made but I was just curious as to where I could purchase one

·
Registered
2007 VW Rabbit 2 Door 5 SPD/2.5 L, 2009 VW Rabbit Auto/2.5 L, 2012 VW Jetta 5 SPD/2.5 L
6 Posts
I have three 2.5 litre cars 2007 Rabbit 2 door 5 spd with 179,000KM, 2009 Rabbit 4 door auto with 222,000KM(I gave this one to my 18 year old daughter, but still in my name) and a 2012 Jetta 5spd with 213,000KM really have only had a couple minor issues with the engines. Crank sensor on the 2009 Rabbit, purge valve/gas cap on the 2007 Rabbit. My daughter put almost 9,000 km on it in 3 months, just got her license 3 months ago. She does not look after it as well as I would like but it just keeps going.
I do run min 92 octane, full synthetic, oil change on mine every 7,000KM, if there is an issue it gets fixed right away. With that being said I do drive these cars, not abused but higher speeds, higher rpm shifts (not red line, but for fuel economy either)
I actually was tossing around the idea of doing a restro mod to the 2007 Rabbit and kind of give it the feel of the 1980 GTI Rabbit I had. Put a GTI front clip on it, swap out the interior for a GTI interior possible some engine mods, upgrade the suspension and would love to do a 6 spd swap on it.
I would say they are a decent engine. I actually went out of my way to find the 2.5 litre cars.

·
Registered
278 Posts
These 2.5 liter engines in the Mk 5 have fantastic reputations for running almost forever with proper care. Note that Mk 5 model years are 2006-2009. The 2006-07 engines have 150 hp and a history of failing timing chain tensioners. The 2008-09 engines have 170 hp and better timing chain tensioners.

Likewise, I am OCD about taking care of my 2008 Rabbit with the 09G Aisin Tiptronic semi-automatic transmission. I use premium, full synthetic fluids and change them twice as often as necessary. When sensors, seals, belts, pulleys, tensioners, water pump, thermostat, alternator, etc., are at life, I replace them and if any jobs are above my skill level, I pay my local professional mechanic (from whom I bought it) to them.

I also tend to keep the rpm's higher (above "lugging" and below red line) to keep the engine running better. I always keep the transmission in Sport mode unless I am on the interstate with minimum speed of 70 mph. Thankfully, the transmission shifts at the same rpm's in Sport mode that I would shift at, with a manual transmission - between 4K and 5K rpm's. I like it!

It has over 155K miles on it with no issues at all. No leaks (I deleted the vacuum pump.), no oil burning, no overheating or anything else. It isn't a garage queen and the body is a "10-footer" but there is no rust and there are water leaks (I did have to replace the rubber seal around the rear hatch). I only run Top Tier gas and I would run premium octane if I could afford it, but I am having no issues at all with 87 octane. It starts every time.

I don't worry about the car's resale value because it is an investment for me, not for someone else. I plan to run this little beast forever. It is equally at home in my mountain "twisties" or on the interstate. It can get extremely windy in my area and the aerodynamics are excellent. The fact the body structure has a built-in roll cage makes me fell secure. I can barely hear the engine at idle and it sounds like a wildcat when accelerate, which is the best of both worlds.

I know I sound like a TV commercial but this car is a fantastic little fun machine.

·
Registered
2007 VW Rabbit 2 Door 5 SPD/2.5 L, 2009 VW Rabbit Auto/2.5 L, 2012 VW Jetta 5 SPD/2.5 L
6 Posts
These 2.5 liter engines in the Mk 5 have fantastic reputations for running almost forever with proper care. Note that Mk 5 model years are 2006-2009. The 2006-07 engines have 150 hp and a history of failing timing chain tensioners. The 2008-09 engines have 170 hp and better timing chain tensioners.

Likewise, I am OCD about taking care of my 2008 Rabbit with the 09G Aisin Tiptronic semi-automatic transmission. I use premium, full synthetic fluids and change them twice as often as necessary. When sensors, seals, belts, pulleys, tensioners, water pump, thermostat, alternator, etc., are at life, I replace them and if any jobs are above my skill level, I pay my local professional mechanic (from whom I bought it) to them.

I also tend to keep the rpm's higher (above "lugging" and below red line) to keep the engine running better. I always keep the transmission in Sport mode unless I am on the interstate with minimum speed of 70 mph. Thankfully, the transmission shifts at the same rpm's in Sport mode that I would shift at, with a manual transmission - between 4K and 5K rpm's. I like it!

It has over 155K miles on it with no issues at all. No leaks (I deleted the vacuum pump.), no oil burning, no overheating or anything else. It isn't a garage queen and the body is a "10-footer" but there is no rust and there are water leaks (I did have to replace the rubber seal around the rear hatch). I only run Top Tier gas and I would run premium octane if I could afford it, but I am having no issues at all with 87 octane. It starts every time.

I don't worry about the car's resale value because it is an investment for me, not for someone else. I plan to run this little beast forever. It is equally at home in my mountain "twisties" or on the interstate. It can get extremely windy in my area and the aerodynamics are excellent. The fact the body structure has a built-in roll cage makes me fell secure. I can barely hear the engine at idle and it sounds like a wildcat when accelerate, which is the best of both worlds.

I know I sound like a TV commercial but this car is a fantastic little fun machine.
I did not know that about the timing chains on my 2007 Rabbit, very good to know. It has 179,000 KM or around 111,000 miles.
It is a good running car but the body is rough. It being white it shows the rust. Could use both rocker panels and the front part of the rear 1/4 panels. That is really just a pipe dream of restro modding it into a GTI Rabbit. I am seriously considering it but really think my car is too far gone would be better to find a different one.
The 2012 Jetta still has two year rust warranty so I am not too worried about it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did not know that about the timing chains on my 2007 Rabbit, very good to know. It has 179,000 KM or around 111,000 miles.
It is a good running car but the body is rough. It being white it shows the rust. Could use both rocker panels and the front part of the rear 1/4 panels. That is really just a pipe dream of restro modding it into a GTI Rabbit. I am seriously considering it but really think my car is too far gone would be better to find a different one.
The 2012 Jetta still has two year rust warranty so I am not too worried about it.
I think the problem is with the plastic timing chain tensioners instead of the timing chains themselves. I don't know if there is an easy or low cost replacement for them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
One of the many 2.5's I bought was a 2010 with a jumped timing chain. The plastic chain guides are not an issue in these cars. On that car I saw that the guides were fine, but cheap so I replaced them along with a new chain and tensioner. Two years later still running great. I think the tensioners in the 2.5 are fine, compared to the faulty ones in the 2.0T motors from about 2009 to 2013. Even in those cars with tensioners that need to be replaced, the plastic chain guides are not a problem. Nor are the chains themselves. This is just my experience.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The later Mk 5 2.5 engines (2008-09) CAN be pretty much bulletproof IF you take care of them. They still need proper maintenance. My 2008 VW Rabbit Mk 5 runs amazingly well with almost 156K miles on it with no leaks, no oil consumption, almost silent idle and still screams like a wildcat during acceleration. All I've done to it is scheduled maintenance and replacing standard parts which have a limited life (belts, water pump, seals, O-rings, plugs, coils, etc.). I plan to drive it forever. It is perfect for my type of driving which gives me no interest in making it the fastest one out there.

·
Registered
2003 gti 2012 jetta 2.5
7 Posts
picked up a 2012 jetta SEL 2.5l with 130K miles for a really good price. i really do enjoy the 5cy and if the motor lasts past the body of the car, then ill rebuild it for my 03 gti.
oddball question for anyone with there ears on.
being a 2012 2.5l , i can NOT get an aftermarket intake without doing some fancy dance for the steering pump, as it leaves no room for the better intake.
anyone here , know how well this ECU would handle about 1 psi of pressurized air , if i tossed on a little DC pressure pump.
its not a turbo, just a high grade DC blower that can meet the air requirements of the 2.5L and i would set its rate accordingly with the POT on the pedal so it would spin accordingly. ( seems like this motor can reach 275L per minute of air flow )
i have a few of these laying around, and they were used when i got them, but really do build pressure and 1PSI seems like a good , safe point.

·
Registered
654 Posts
picked up a 2012 jetta SEL 2.5l with 130K miles for a really good price. i really do enjoy the 5cy and if the motor lasts past the body of the car, then ill rebuild it for my 03 gti.
oddball question for anyone with there ears on.
being a 2012 2.5l , i can NOT get an aftermarket intake without doing some fancy dance for the steering pump, as it leaves no room for the better intake.
anyone here , know how well this ECU would handle about 1 psi of pressurized air , if i tossed on a little DC pressure pump.
its not a turbo, just a high grade DC blower that can meet the air requirements of the 2.5L and i would set its rate accordingly with the POT on the pedal so it would spin accordingly. ( seems like this motor can reach 275L per minute of air flow )
i have a few of these laying around, and they were used when i got them, but really do build pressure and 1PSI seems like a good , safe point.
I'm no moderator, but, Sounds like a great topic for a new thread.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts