VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm coming from a 2003 24v GLI (6MT). I have the basic bolt ons, but nothings crazy.

I test drove a 2003 A4 3.0 Quattro (6MT) today, and it felt like such a slow boat. It was what I imagined an A6 would feel like to drive. What gives? The salesman said it was because of the added weight from the AWD, but that just sounds like excuses.

The car seemed in bad shape everywhere else, so I'm assuming it was just a dog of a car in general, but I wanted to get some other opinions. Is the A4 w/ a 3.0 supposed to feel like an old man's boat in molasses?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I test drove the 3.0 vs. the 1.8 when I bought mine.

I chose the 1.8.... much smother and funner car in my opinion. 3.0 is a smooth ride it feels, but the 1.8 is totally different. Feeling the power kick in just makes you feel good.... once its chipped and you apply bolt on's.... it gets really fun.

so YES 3.0 is for someone over 50.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've got a 3.0. It's not a ripper by any means. Holds with a 12v VR6 pretty evenly. If you learn to drive it right til redline, it will still go pretty well, but I'm still left wishing I had a turbo pushing me into the seat when I get into it. So I wouldn't say it's a dog, as long as you learn to really drive the hell out of it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the comments

He wasn't making that much of an excuse. It is a ~3800lb car with AWD. I've never dyno'd my 3.0L but I've seen a dyno sheet of a stock one and it was 153whp. Not fast. So yes, it will feel like a dog compared to your 24v FWD w/boltons. Very smooth tho, at least one in good condition and maintained.
I didn't realize the whp was that low. Interesting. That would definitely explain the feeling of the car.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
It's, smooth and looks good, much more a cruiser than a sports car. The 3.0 will come with more standard stuff than a 1.8T. Depends what you're looking for. The Quattro is it's saving grace from being snubbed by most people.

JHM is making some more progress on the platform, and will be releasing more stuff hopefully soon. You should be able to call them up and ask for the chip, they haven't publicly released it yet, as well as new downpipes, and upgraded clutch/flywheel, and they already have a short shift kit. So there is stuff available, but it won't make it a rocket. Just more fun.

I definitely enjoy driving it, both in the twisties and on the highway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.