VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My green C has the glass Passat moonroof and although I keep it clean and well lubed, I'm worried that it might break as easily as the regular sunroof used to break in my silver C. To those that already have this conversion, what has your experience been?

· Registered
13,199 Posts
Re: Is the Passat moonroof as prone to breakage as the Corrado sunroof? (cheebs)

the clips that break were used in the passat roofs up to 95.5. u can check by seeing if u have chrome looking metal clips or plain metal clips. if u have the chrome looking ones... they are the ons that break. if u keep it lubed then u should not have a problem.

· Registered
978 Posts
Re: Is the Passat moonroof as prone to breakage as the Corrado sunroof? (GotEuroCorrado)

Yep...prone to breakage...mine broke about a year and a half after i got it installed...thats what you get for buying a used moonroof...but of course it uses the same clip that breaks like GotEuroCorrado said.

· Registered
13,199 Posts
Re: Is the Passat moonroof as prone to breakage as the Corrado sunroof? (VR6 Rage)

passat moonroof from year 95.5-97 have the clips that dont break

· Registered
442 Posts
Re: Is the Passat moonroof as prone to breakage as the Corrado sunroof? (GotEuroCorrado)

It is not the clips that actually cause the breakage people. It is the little rubber bushings on the clips that wear out and thus causing the clips to misalign and break.
You preempt (the operative word of some jackass we all know!
) this by replacing the rubber bushings with hard plastic tubes such as those found on the ends of electrical connectors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.