VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, first of all, don't everybody kill me because I took my car to the shop. I haven't the time nor the resources to work on it right now.
I took my car into Halsey Automotive in Portland because of the rattling tin can noise that happened everytime I depressed the clutch. They're telling me that the crankshaft may be loose, but that there's only a 5% chance that the thrust bearing is the problem (i.e. easy fix). From what I understand, if my crank was loose, it would be pretty fuggin' catastrophic to my car. Well, my car is driving fine, like nothing is wrong at all, besides the sound when I press the clutch. Are these guys taking me for a ride or what? I know, I know, this is what I get for taking it to the shop...

·
Registered
6,941 Posts
Re: Is the shop taking me for ride? (jonbaby420)

Halsey Automotive
great place for watercooled parts for cheap
and a great shop for an old Aircooled
they're not all that great with watercooled any as far as i'm concerned
should take it to Double J for a second opinion
http://www.doublejmotorwerks.com
the guys that did know H2O at Halsey opened this shop a couple years ago
tell them you heard of 'em threw Dubsquad

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Is the shop taking me for ride? (The Nothing)

I know Joe and Jay. I've been there a couple of times to shoot the crap and such. Didn't think they did service work or repairs, I thought they were just an upgrade shop. I'll give him a call, thanks.

·
Registered
14,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by jonbaby420 »
...because of the rattling tin can noise that happened everytime I depressed the clutch. They're telling me that the crankshaft may be loose....

Is this the same problem as you quoted in your following thread?
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1395821
If it is, I gave you a tip for checking the amount of thrust bearing play.
If you have not pulled the tranny, I still suspect that a strap on the pressure plate has broken. Cheers, WWR.

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Is the shop taking me for ride? (WackyWabbitRacer)

Yeah, same issue. Now I don't have the time to repair the problem. I'm tkaing it to JJ Motorwerks to have them look at it for me. Money I have, time I do not. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
15,945 Posts

Double J are good guys.. I go up there often and talk with them.. they do good work, and should be able to help ya out..

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Is the shop taking me for ride? (brelvis25)

Yeah, Jay said he's gonna drop the tranny and take a look. I got some money from work (thank God I work for a credit union where it's easy as pie to get loans) and we're just gonna fix whatever's broken and then rebuild the engine while we're at it. hey, at least I'm getting a rebuild done!! Shhhhh...don't tell my wife, she thinks it's part of the fix!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts