VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been very frustrated trying to find a dash mount that works on this car. The top of the dash is textured and nothing grips well, and almost every other surface is curved and also won't take a suction cup or adhesive pad well. The phone and holder keeps falling off the dash, especially now that it's hot and the sun is making the adhesive soft.

There is a tine little slot under the entertainment system where a CD used to be inserted. I'm assuming there's nothing behind it, but does anyone know? Ideally, I'd pull that little piece of plastic off and insert my old phone holder, which slides right into the opening of a single-disc CD player. But I'd hate to risk breaking that slim piece of plastic on the dash if I can't use the slot anyway.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alternatives for phone mount...

I have mostly seen the vent-style phone mounts on the GTI.

Another option is to put a smooth sticky mount on before your dashboard mount, this will stay attached to the dashboard and provide a smooth surface for the suction cup to stick to.

If you are committed to using the CD slot, it should work, but the phone will be pretty far away from the driver, won't it?

Finally, you could just use Android Auto/CarPlay, it's standard in the 2017...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fair enough. Good suggestions and worth a shot. I didn't think the CD slot would be too far away but I'll check today. I currently have a sticky mount that the suction cup sticks on but they both get so hot in the sun they fall off. Maybe a vent is the only way to go, annoying as I find them to be. Thanks for the input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.