VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend, thought my thermo housing was cracked, so I switched it but turns out that the little flange on the crack pipe snapped off causing my car to puke coolant all over the place. I could only feel this, as I could not see it from under nor on top of the engine.
I'm hearing that you have to take the front off to get at it okay but others say this can be changed from underneath the car. Anyone have any experience w/ changing this?

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Re: Is the water pipe (crack pipe) accessible to change from underneath? (BilingualGringo)

i think you can, but its right above the oil cooler. it only takes about 1/2 to take the front off.

or you could take the intake off and work from above....but that take a little longer.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Is the water pipe (ToddOne)

Well, I'm in quite the pickle as to doing this due to the fact that I have x amount of dollars saved up for wheels. I'm thinkin' rationally for once and was going to remove the front end and switch out all the cooling components.
But irrational thoughts are always better, and was thinkin' about just switching the water pipe and then still gettin' the wheels.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Re: Is the water pipe (BilingualGringo)

ron, you've got to know by now that there is no quick and easy with the corrado! lol
you actually can do the crack pipe without taking anything off. you'll just have to work blind under the intake. but be forwarned the oil cooler hoses are a nightmare if you have the rad support or intake in the way.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Is the water pipe (ToddOne)

Quote, originally posted by ToddOne »
ron, you've got to know by now that there is no quick and easy with the corrado! lol
you actually can do the crack pipe without taking anything off. you'll just have to work blind under the intake. but be forwarned the oil cooler hoses are a nightmare if you have the rad support or intake in the way.

haha Codie, quit gassin' me up!
But, as far as the cooler hoses goes, that's why I'm shook. I know it can be a pain to work like that and gettin' that hose off that broken flange from the old crack pipe will be next to impossible.
A $35 part isn't worth removing my front end. *sigh* Nothing's easy.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Re: Is the water pipe (BilingualGringo)

yeh, the little VW crap hose clips will be fun for you. switching to the rolled edge screw type on the reinstall will help you out.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (vw mofo)

Quote, originally posted by vw mofo »
If you take the intake manifold off and slide out the fan shroud its VERY easy to get the crack pipe out...

That's a pretty good idea sir, me likes how you think.
But, then takin' the manifold off, I'll need new gaskets, etc, correct?
But then it comes back to the original question: water pipe and wheels or water pipe and preventative maintenance?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Re: (BilingualGringo)

Go for the maintenance. The wheels will be there waiting when your're done. It would suck to have your car puking coolant all over the shiny new wheels

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (cheebs)

Aight, haha, maintenance it is.
I figure replacing everything w/ the cooling system will be well worth avoiding any possible headache in the future. At least I finally get the Samcos and oil cooler I've been wanting.
Anyone know if Silverado still makes his?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Re: (cheebs)

Even easier trick:
Jack the car up..loosen the front motor-mount, support the enigine (I supported the gearbox..or whatever its called..didnt try the oilpan cause I was afraid the support might go through it or something) now lower the car SLOWLY and see the engine go up..stop lowering the car when u think u got enough room..dont go to far with the lowering..the exhaust and the other mount are under stress...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BilingualGringo »
Aight, haha, maintenance it is.
I figure replacing everything w/ the cooling system will be well worth avoiding any possible headache in the future. At least I finally get the Samcos and oil cooler I've been wanting.

hahaha.... didnt i tell you that before.
now quit talking about how badly you want those wheels.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (CobieRado)

Quote, originally posted by CobieRado »

hahaha.... didnt i tell you that before.
now quit talking about how badly you want those wheels.

Funny

I'll get them eventually as I finally found a decent hook-up, holler at October though.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BilingualGringo »

That's a pretty good idea sir, me likes how you think.
But, then takin' the manifold off, I'll need new gaskets, etc, correct?
But then it comes back to the original question: water pipe and wheels or water pipe and preventative maintenance?

hey hey.....i said that first!! lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts