VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Banned
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
VW's most recent press release on the MKVI has indicated that the 3.2L VR6 will probably not be making an appearance in those cars.
Autoweek -
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/p...ter01
"A range of four-cylinder engines will power the Golf, rated from 80 hp to 211 hp. There are no immediate plans for a follow-up to the 250 hp, 3.2-liter V6-powered R32. Instead, Volkswagen is toying with the idea of a 265-hp version of the GTi’s engine--the same engine found in the speedy Audi S3--for a new four-wheel-drive R version of the Golf."
It seems like the evidence is mounting.
The Porsche Cayenne, a previous 3.2L VR6 recipient, now comes with the 3.6L VR6 in the base model. Same for the Touareg, and the Audi Q7 was launched with the 3.6 in the first place.
Now I understand that the A3 & TT still use these motors, but as of late it seems like VW/Audi are turning to the 2.0T. (Audi S3, TTS) They're achieving similar or better power numbers while returning better fuel economy. I'd imagine that it would lower manufacturing costs if they were to streamline their gas engine offerings by solely relying on the 2.0T and 3.6, while Audi relies on the 3.1L DI V6 as their V6 offering.
This is purely speculation, and forgive me if I'm not up-to-date on Audi's future plans for cars like the A3 and TT, but given the industry's shift towards smaller, more economical engines, do you think the 3.2L VR6's days are numbered?
Do you think that VW is going to shift towards the 3.6L VR6 as its' ONLY 6-cylinder option? Audi has had its' 3.1L FSI V6 for a while now, which achieves better power & economy numbers from a smaller displacement, so the 3.2 VR6 is a bit of a moot point to them.
As nice as the 3.2L sounds, it's not a model of power or efficiency, and it seems like it's become the bastard child of the VW/Audi stable.
Thoughts?

· Registered
579 Posts
Re: Is the writing on the wall for the 3.2 VR6? (SickWrathTerror)

With all the commotion over fuel efficiency these days, it just seems that saying bye bye to the vr6 may be inevitable

I am going to miss that purr.

Modified by vxiamtheruinerxv at 5:44 PM 8-5-2008

· Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
29,151 Posts

No, I doubt VW will completely nix the idea of a 6 cylinder powerplant. They have vehicles that need this motor in the US market. However, what VW might do is redefine exactly what chassis's get a 6 cyl motor. They may feel that a V6 isn' t necessary in the A chassis cars. Heck, this is happening already.
But for cars like the Passat and Touareg, a V (r)6 will always be necessary in the US. The power delivery of a 6 cylinder motor is perfect for both applications. In which case, VW may decide to completely move away from the Vr design. Then again, special vehicles like the R32, may force VW to continue to do some development on the VR.
I think 6 cylinder motors are here to stay with VW, but it will be interesting to see what VW does with the VR6 and what applications continue to receive these motors. After DI, VW could certainly experiment with some form of FI with the VR6 in order to continue to keep the motor fresh. I think there are still some things that could be done to keep the VR6 relevant.

· Banned
6,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Is the writing on the wall for the 3.2 VR6? (vxiamtheruinerxv)

Quote, originally posted by vxiamtheruinerxv »
With all the commotion over full efficiency these days, it just seems that saying bye bye to the vr6 may be inevitable

That's my thought - and this thread isn't to bash the motor. But it just seems redundant at this point.
-Audi's 3.1L DI V6 achieves 255hp with better fuel economy.
-VW's 3.6L achieves 280-300hp with a small hit to fuel economy, but no worse than a VQ V6, for example.
-The 2.0T has proven to be an enormously flexible motor, with outputs ranging from 200 - 265+ hp with better fuel economy.
I understand that VW will always try to keep the VR6 relevant, but the 3.6 is there. The European Passat offers the 3.2L VR6 in Direct Injected form, but power output is still 250hp.
Really, what's the point anymore?
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

Modified by SickWrathTerror at 1:26 PM 8-5-2008

· Registered
5,944 Posts

The next R will either have a direct injection VR6, or a high output 2.0T. I doubt the 3.6L VR6 will be used in such a small car.
My crazy thinking has it that eventually there may be a twin charger 2.0T.

· Registered
4,284 Posts
Re: Is the writing on the wall for the 3.2 VR6? (vxiamtheruinerxv)

Quote, originally posted by vxiamtheruinerxv »
With all the commotion over fuel efficiency these days, it just seems that saying bye bye to the vr6 may be inevitable

Modified by vxiamtheruinerxv at 10:27 AM 8-5-2008

The 3.6l VR6 sounds absolutely amazing. Even with the wimpy stock exhaust.

· Registered
41,309 Posts
Re: Is the writing on the wall for the 3.2 VR6? (PERCH 24V)

Quote, originally posted by PERCH 24V »
All of this for the 3.2...i didnt see anyone crying for the 2.8l 12v or 24v.....its a shame really

I loved my 12v, but its oiloholic tendencies weren't exactly desirable. Our RX-8 has far more predictable and manageable oil consumption.

· Registered
8,338 Posts
Re: Is the writing on the wall for the 3.2 VR6? (PassSedanGLX)

Quote, originally posted by PassSedanGLX »
Yeah but if we get a 2.5T and Europe gets a 3.6 N/A everybody will bitch because the Euro version is "OMG so much more refined."

I don't see the 3.6 being around too long - way too east to get 300-hp out of the 2.5.
I believe Europe is getting the 2.5T in the TT-R (or whatever Porsche decides to let them call it), and I believe the Passat CC as well.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.