VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that where I live, almost every new Impreza I see is a WRX! I'm not sure if it's b/c I live in a warm weather state where Subaru isn't very popular, and thus the only Impreza buyers are those who want WRX performance.

Anyone know the mix of Imprezas they are selling?

·
Registered
16,949 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (CanuckPal)

Actually I bet that Burlington Vermont has the most WRX per capita of anywhere in the US. Theya re everywhere. And are more common than regular Imprezas. Of course the Legacy is the best selling car in the state. We are weird!
In non snowbelt climates, I can imagine that the regular Impreza doesn't sell well at all. In fact on my trip to Florida last month, after PA, I didn't see a single regular Impreza, and only saw one WRX. Oddly enough at the race itself, I don't think I saw a single WRX. But last year at a race in Lime Rock, CT (Memorial day), there were a ton.
Its definitely a regional thing.

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (1 and 20 characters)

Can't be too sure. The WRX has a halo effect over the whole Impreza range, which has many merits even in non-WRX form as a fine driver's car. I mean, for the same money as an Astra or Protege over here, you get something that's truly unique among compacts. All Subarus seem to be popular here regardless of their engine...

·
Registered
6,935 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (David Votoupal)

its definitely opened a lot of peoples eyes about the impreza, but now everyone wants a wrx, and if its not that then they won't buy a regular impreza

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (CanuckPal)

quote:[HR][/HR]It's the exact opposite here...every Impreza I see is a 2.5 TS wagon. I've only seen a couple Outback Sports, one 2.5RS, and a couple WRXs.[HR][/HR]​
Not in Calgary! I saw my FIRST TS and RS last week. All others: WRX! But then again, this town is AWASH in cash.

·
Registered
6,149 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (jastevenson)

In Israel there are many regular Impreza and I mean 1.6 auto....
there are some WRXs but the GT (old shape turbo) sold better.
and now we also have some STIs

G

·
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (Brocktoon)

Across the US, the WRX is selling better than Subaru planned, but the rest of Subbie's sales have remained flat. So far this year, Subaru's sales are actually down 3% from 2001.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts

WRX and 2.5RS are the most popular here. People buy WRX because they just want a WRX. If they can't afford a WRX but still want something close to WRX, they would buy 2.5RS.

·
Registered
14,288 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]i think subaru's biggest obstacle is their styling. if they could make them attractive they would really start to sell a lot more imo. [HR][/HR]​
This is a post about how popular the car is and you're posting about how they're styled?

·
Registered
6,149 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]i think subaru's biggest obstacle is their styling. if they could make them attractive they would really start to sell a lot more imo.
[HR][/HR]​
I agree but I think they should also offer more engines.
The H-6 should be available across the line, or at least on the Legacy and Forester.
they should also come out with more cars, they have only 3 models.
I think their line should be as follow:
Impreza - bring over the STI, and Sunroof as an option.
Forester- offer another engine, either the H-6 or a Turbo version (250hp
)
Legacy - add the H-6 to all Legacys and add a B4 RSK with H-6 and twin turbo.
Baja - either add supercharger (like the concept) or the H-6.
and bring a new SVX with the H-6 TT we talked about

that should pump up the sales...

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (IsraelGT)

I´ve only seen two or three of the new Imprezas (except the four at the Auto Show), but one of them was a WRX (had french plates, though).
AWD isn´t popular at all here, so Subaru doesn´t do well, either.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (SuperGroove)

quote:[HR][/HR]i think subaru's biggest obstacle is their styling. if they could make them attractive they would really start to sell a lot more imo.
This is a post about how popular the car is and you're posting about how they're styled?
[HR][/HR]​
Apparently the connection between the two is missed by some.

·
Registered
7,120 Posts

Subarus are probably thee number one selling car in Alaska. You see them everywhere, outbacks and legacy wagons being the most popular. The older subarus aren't allowed to die up here as well, most of them driven into the ground while being maintained and fixed. Alaska LOVES subarus. I'd take a Forester over any SUV.

·
Registered
34,664 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (IsraelGT)

Subaru doesn't need to put a sunroof on Impreza to prove to Vortexers "we are safe"

What Subaru desperately needs to do is to put stick shift into H6, then messaged the engine to increase the hp and torque for at least 30hp and 40 lb/ft of torque. Drop it into a Legacy GT, give it an even sportier dynamic package and the whole car should fly. The current 2.5GT is seriously underengined considered how great the chassis is, it reminds me of Infiniti G20.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts

I just got back from Tahoe, and the WRX is a dime a dozen car up there.
Ton of em.
Great car for places like Nor Cal, you can jam on the dry streets and it works in tahoe.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (lip)

I remember reading a news article or press release that puts WRX sales more than other Imprezas (RS, TS and OBS) combined. I will try to dig it up.

·
Registered
718 Posts

Subaru as well as Saab is almost non-existent here in Louisiana. Baton rouge just got a new Subaru dealership just last week. So we'll see how Subaru does down here??

·
Registered
'20 Telluride, '22 Santa Fe PHEV, '07 Airstream
11,191 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (Overboost)

I see a lot of regular Imprezas - indeed, I see an Outback Sport everyday. The cars are tremendously popular among the outdoorsy kayaking/biking set I hang out with. It's about split around here between WRXs and the others.
When people ask us about the OBS, I tell them to buy a WRX, but then they get scared off by all of the "vrooom-vroom" and wheel-screeching noises I make....

Tom

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: Is the WRX more successful than the regular Imprezas? (msb0b)

Found the press release: http://www.subaru.com/home/news/press_result.asp?inc=1&page=41
quote:[HR][/HR]Subaru Impreza established a new sales record of 35,612 total units, up a remarkable 85% from the previous year. Impreza sales were bolstered by the successful launch of the rally-bred 2002 Impreza WRX, accounting for 18,060 unit sales since its March introduction.[HR][/HR]​
18,000 WRX sold is pretty impressive, but still minor compared to the 95,000 Legacies and 70,000 Outbacks sold in 2001.
Edit: typoes

[Modified by msb0b, 4:14 PM 4-9-2002]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.