VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is their a 3" TB exhaust that's still reasonably quiet but with an agressive tone?

Being new to the VW scene I'm not very familiar with how aftermarket exhausts sound on these cars so I wanted to ask around (and hopefully hear some local exhausts) before I decide on one. I'm not looking for a quiet as stock or anything, but was wondering if it's possible to have a 3" exhaust with just a slightly more agressive tone than stock? I'm not a big fan of obnoxiously loud exhausts, but I'm not against having a low, agressive sound coming from the pipe, as long as it's not overly intrusive in the interior of the car. I know loud is a relative term to each person, but all opinions, experiences, and info appreciated!

[Modified by DTECH1.8T, 7:44 PM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Re: Is their a 3" TB exhaust that's still reasonably quiet but with an agressive tone? (DTECH1.8T)

The Forced-Motion tb w/dual tips is quiet at cruising/highway. When you get on the gas you will definitely know it is there but it is not obnoxious. There are a couple of guys over in Fl that have it - you should try and hook up w/them for a demo.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Re: Is their a 3" TB exhaust that's still reasonably quiet but with an agressive tone? (DTECH1.8T)

I have about the loudest combo you can get (hard motormounts and a 3" system with a turned down, hidden tip) and it's not terrible, but it is a lot louder than stock under throttle. I'm going to replace the tip with the 2.5" dual exposed tips which should quiet things down.
If you keep stock motormounts and use exposed tips, you should be fine with the FM 3" system.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Is their a 3" TB exhaust that's still reasonably quiet but with an agressive tone? (dbrowne1)

Thanks for the responses so far, but I'm curious of why would different motormounts have anything to do with sound of the exhaust?
Anyone here in South Florida have the Forced Motion 3" TB with dual 2.5 inch tips that I could hear?

[Modified by DTECH1.8T, 8:21 PM 12-6-2001]

[Modified by DTECH1.8T, 9:33 PM 12-6-2001]

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

Motormounts increase noise and vibration transmission to the frame of the car from the engine, so any increase from the exhaust is multplied by these.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: Is their a 3" TB exhaust that's still reasonably quiet but with an agressive tone? (dbrowne1)

You can just replace the DP and Cat and keep stock cat-back. You'll get good gains without the noise. That's what I'm doing cuz I don't want the noise. I like the sleeper look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts