VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is stupid question, but is there a big difference in stock vs chiped 1.8t?
A buddy of mine has a 2001 Passat 1.8t and is stock and that car is quick! I would like to hear from some users what there experance was when they chipped there car for the first time. Thank you!

· Registered
364 Posts
Re: Is there a big difference in chipping your Passat 1.8t? (Patmsbca)

The overwhelming response is yes. If you're coming from a B5.5, then you're not gonna feel it as much in the seat of the pants test, but you'll still feel some. All in all, it's still worth the money.

· Registered
232 Posts
Re: Is there a big difference in chipping your Passat 1.8t? (stealthx32)

Yes!!!

· Registered
855 Posts
yes... but...

I think one needs to take into consideration which 1.8T B5.5 is worth chipping...
'02 and '03 B5.5 1.8T are quoted at 170HP, whereupon many owners/people believe that the HP is closer to what is quoted for Jetta/Golf 1.8T's.
Prior models of 1.8T's found in Passats <'01 and Jetta/Golfs have lower boost hence HP.
Therefore chipping the latter of the two 1.8T's, causes a much more dramatic effect given the before and after (most chips seem to be in the 220-235hp range).
So, does 170/180hp (before) to 220-235hp make a worthwhile difference? Of course, any horsepower increase can only be a good thing.
Also, are chips in fact available for the '02 and '03 Passats/Jetta/Golfs sporting the 1.8T???

· Registered
1,161 Posts

Chipped my wife's New Beetle and now it flies! The cool thing is she just putts around and didn't even notice a difference in driveability. $300 for a big boost of horsepower and *torque* is rare. I have a 5-speed and have to be careful not to smoke the tires on a fast start....

· Registered
47 Posts
Re: Is there a big difference in chipping your Passat 1.8t? (Der Meister)

I see that there are many different chip companies out there to choose from. How did you guys select your respective chips and what are the reliability factors that you have to look at before you purchase? Thanks

· Registered
185 Posts
Re: Is there a big difference in chipping your Passat 1.8t? (vw117)

quote:[HR][/HR]I see that there are many different chip companies out there to choose from. How did you guys select your respective chips and what are the reliability factors that you have to look at before you purchase? Thanks[HR][/HR]​
Check out the 1.8T forum. The two biggest chip companies are GIAC and APR. Upsolute and Nuespeed are also popular. Many people agree it is good to go with a local tuner in case you ever have a problem. You can get an APR chip from Rapid Parts in NY. They are right across the north Jersey border.

· Registered
490 Posts

I have thousands of chips in the hood of my car, I think it's from the use of sand and gravel on the roads in colorado. I'm not sure how chipping the car could increase performance.

Evlgreg

· Registered
12,216 Posts
Re: Is there a big difference in chipping your Passat 1.8t? (evlgreg)

quote:[HR][/HR]I have thousands of chips in the hood of my car, I think it's from the use of sand and gravel on the roads in colorado. I'm not sure how chipping the car could increase performance.

Evlgreg[HR][/HR]​
Weight reduction! Serious 'chipping' may lead to speed holes, which increase power levels considerably, esp. due to the distortion of laminar flow of the wind around the car, and 'ram air' effect

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.