VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fwd springs on awd?

i know the fronts 100% fits but a few people told that the rears wont fit and a few told me that the rears will fit

·
Registered
903 Posts
No they will not fit because the shock/spring design on the 2 cars is completely different.

If they were the same they would already use the same shock/spring seeing that the weight of the actual car in the rear is not going to be any different.

·
Banned
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No they will not fit because the shock/spring design on the 2 cars is completely different.

If they were the same they would already use the same shock/spring seeing that the weight of the actual car in the rear is not going to be any different.

so why many peoples says the rear fwd springs will fit on the awd rear struts?

anyone with pics or have tried this?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I haven't looked at springs specifically, but i can tell you in the course of working on my car that there are different parts for the fwd and quattro cars. Take the advice and just buy the parts specifically for your car.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
An AWD system weighs a ****load more than FWD. And if they make different parts for AWD and FWD then there is probably a reason for it.
Just get the correct parts. :beer:

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
so why mk1 rabbits/roccos are the same but different weight?

same for all mk2/mk3/raddo's?
Because they are FWD cars. Have you ever looked at the rear end set up of a FWD car and then looked at the set up of a AWD car? That would answer your question. But hey if you don't believe us go ahead and try it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
yes and the springs looks the same thus the reason why i made this post.
Doesn't mean they are installed in the same way. Actually go look for your rear springs on a B5 quattro and then look at how they are installed on a Audi/VW FWD car.

The rear suspension is completely different between the B5 quattro and B5 FWD, hell you cant even make a B5 FWD into a quattro because of that difference.

It sounds like you have been mixing your talks with both B5 and B6 owners, with the B5 owners telling you no and the B6 telling you yes. The B5 and B6 are completely different.

The B6 rear spring/shock setup is like the B5 A4 FWD and B5 Passat. The spring doesn't actual go on the shock, it goes between the arm and the body/frame of the car. On the B5 Quattro car the spring/shock are together like they are in the front and the shock is placed into a box housing that is then mounted to the body of the car inside the wheel well.

So you end up with something like this

vs this

·
Banned
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
b5 awd springs sits on the struts

b5 fwd springs sits on the struts

both springs from looking at pics online are the same size:confused:

FYI: im talking about fwd lowering springs mounted on awd rear struts

·
Registered
903 Posts
You can try mounting the FWD springs onto a RWD shock but I dont know if they are going to actually fit.

Look at the difference between the 2.

B5 AWD

B5 FWD

The FWD rear spring has a few coils that sit together, where as the AWD rear spring is even spaced all the way from end to end. The size of the coil might be different.

Why not just get a set of AWD rear springs? Cant be that hard to find.

·
Banned
10,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You can try mounting the FWD springs onto a RWD shock but I dont know if they are going to actually fit.

Look at the difference between the 2.

B5 AWD

B5 FWD

The FWD rear spring has a few coils that sit together, where as the AWD rear spring is even spaced all the way from end to end. The size of the coil might be different.

Why not just get a set of AWD rear springs? Cant be that hard to find.

because i have a set of fwd new weitecs collecting dust. my springs are the green ones posted above and they dont sit together like the blue sport springs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is question isn't for me but for my friend..he has a 97' A4 quattro, and is looking for coilovers, my question is, do they have to be specifically for the quattro? because ones we have find don't say that they're specifically for it? does it matter as long as its the same year?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts