VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother suggested I find out about this. I don't remember the salesman mentioning it or there being anything about it in the manual. He says it is a worthwhile feature. In addition to providing cleaner air for the driver and passengers to breathe, it will prolong the life of the heater/AC fan by keeping junk out of it.
Anyone know anything about this for an '02 GLS?
Thanks.
Max

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Re: Is there a filter for the air coming into the passenger compartment? (Max Yasgur)

Yes there is... its in (replaceable from) the engine compartment. It's on the passenger side, in the space between the two firewalls, to the left (when standing in front of the car)of the battery. There is one screw to remove (big washer on it), and the cover slides off. Should be changed every 20k. They also make an activated charcoal filter for it (besides the regular paper one) that does a very good job of removing odor also.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Re: Is there a filter for the air coming into the passenger compartment? (pass-variant)

Aloha Chris,,,,,,,I looked and couldn't seem to locate it,,,,,,is in underneath the plastic battery cover to the left of the battery......do you have to take the pastic cover off to access it????

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Re: Is there a filter for the air coming into the passenger compartment? (Stargazer)

stargazer, thanks, it's a bit different with the 02 ( i just checked it out) the 02 has the new cover that goes all the way across the engine compartment, covering the battery and there is a cut away for the brake fluid resie.
it looks like to access the filter you have to remove the rubber pad/liner that goes around the engine compartment but only the part by the filter and battery because it connects to the cover, then lift the plastic cover to get to the filter....... not the best explantion without a photo....any way I found it!
mahalo
rick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Is there a filter for the air coming into the passenger compartment? (mauslick)

Thanks for the info, everyone. My car just went into the body shop today. (Sad story; my nephew backed into it when it was less than 24 hours old; I expect a full recovery for the car and me. ) I will check the engine compartment for the filter when I get the car back next month.
Interesting tidbit....I rechecked the owners manual and could find no mention of this filter, yet it is listed as a featured item on the window sticker that was on the car when I bought it. Go figure.....
Mark

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Re: Is there a filter for the air coming into the passenger compartment? (Max Yasgur)

Yeah, it seems VW's been removing usefule info like that from the owner's manual gradually from model year to model year. My 2001.5 has practically nothing about repairing or replacing anything, such as the cabin filter. That's why so manuy people are itching for a Bentley manual for the B5.5. It's the lack of this kind of info that will keep places like the 'tex alive for a long time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts