VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought the 1985 190e 2.3 16, but it doesn't like to go into reverse. Once you are there its fine, but finding the gate/negotiating the safety lockout is neigh on impossible. As you might imagine, this is making my life difficult! Does anying here know their way around a mercedes dogleg five speed manual? Or can point me to a Mercedes Vortex?
Here it is:

Thanks http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Re: Is there a Mercedes Expert in the house? (sirtophamhat)

I can't help ya, but got any more pics of that car? Looks nice!

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
13,096 Posts

Try contacting Rick @ RC Imports - http://www.rc-imports.com. It's best to call him @ 301.762.4205. He's raced a 190E 16v for many years and can probably give you some relevant advice although it sounds like your shifter may be worn out.
BTW - is your car a Euro? I don't remember MB importing these cars with cloth seats.

·
Registered
1991 MB 190e 2.3 / 2001 MB SL500
2,793 Posts

This might be a strecth, but it worked for me and my 88 Civic when it didn't want to go into reverse...
Basically, I put the car into 1st gear, then Reverse, if it didn't work, I put it in first, lightly inched up, then it would pop easily into reverse.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Is there a Mercedes Expert in the house? (Quattro80)

Quote, originally posted by Quattro80 »
This might be a strecth, but it worked for me and my 88 Civic when it didn't want to go into reverse...
Basically, I put the car into 1st gear, then Reverse, if it didn't work, I put it in first, lightly inched up, then it would pop easily into reverse.
Hope that helps.

Thanks, thats what I was doing before. Doesn't seem to work now. I can manually actuate the shift forks from the under side of the car. However, when I pull one of them out of neutral from underneath the car the shifter locks in neutral. I think that the problem is somewhere in the shifter.

Quote, originally posted by MK3 »
Is that interior burberry

soon.... I'm not fond of the stock pattern, but I'm not gonna pay to reupholster. The foam is pretty well dead in the front seats, I think I'm gonna pick up a set of these in a month or so. They wont be leather, but I'll live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts