VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short I was waxing my GLI w/ DSG in the garage last night and I put the radio on. Left the radio on way too long, and drained the battery to the point where the engine won't turn over. The car is pulled so far up in the center of the garage, there's no easy way to access the battery to jump it. I tried putting the car in Neutral to roll it out of the garage to get a jump, but the steering won't unlock and the car won't move out of park. Is there any way to get it into neutral? or am I going to have to buy one of those 12V battery starters at Walmart?

·
Registered
12,107 Posts
Re: Is there a way to get DSG into Neutral with no battery? (nimicohgr)

Pickup a trickle charger and pump some juice back into that battery! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif The're not that expensive ( I grabbed one at a flea market for $10) and good to have around for just such occasions!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Re: Is there a way to get DSG into Neutral with no battery? (nimicohgr)

make a potato battery and hook that sucker up, should start right up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

...bump for some real help

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Re: (GRN6IX)

Quote, originally posted by GRN6IX »
If you turn the key to 'On', the steering should unlock & you should be able to shift the car into neutral.

Step on the brake first so the selector will unlock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: The car will not shift into Neutral, nor will the hood unlock. Yes, I've tried putting the key into the "on" position and pressing the brake to the floor. I ended up purchasing a trickle charger for 15 bucks at Walmart, and I can tell that it's making some progress, but it's going to be several hours before it will have enough juice to turn over (chargers only 2A). Basically, I had to get something that would use a 12v jack, because I cannot open the hood. I thought the hood was completely mechanical, so maybe the latch is broken and it's just coincidence I found out about it now.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Re: (LonghornDub)

Quote, originally posted by LonghornDub »
I feel like this sort of thing shouldn't happen.
Are you saying that if your battery is disconnected, you couldn't put the car in neutral either?
And WTF at the hood not popping. :crazy:
i can kinda understand it not going into N because i've never known an automatic to do so without power, but not being able to pop the hood? how are you supposed to hook the battery back up?!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (WhiteJettaMK3)

Flicking the lights got it started. I don't understand it, but it worked!
The hood still won't open - I'm thinking it's just coincidence and the hood lock has been broken for some time. I just didn't have any reason to pop the hood before today since my last service appt.
As for the car not shifting into neutral while it's without power - I still think that's ridiculous. I seem to be able to change other automatics into neutral without power. How else are you going to move a car with starting problems?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Quote, originally posted by nimicohgr »

The hood still won't open - I'm thinking it's just coincidence and the hood lock has been broken for some time. I just didn't have any reason to pop the hood before today since my last service appt.

for some time? you never check your oil on a regular basis?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Re: (WhiteJettaMK3)

Quote, originally posted by WhiteJettaMK3 »

if you have enough juice to turn the lights on try cranking it over while you flip the headlights switch a few times...sometimes the jump in voltage will get the car to start.
WTF explain this please?

·
Registered
12,107 Posts
Re: (nimicohgr)

Quote, originally posted by nimicohgr »
Flicking the lights got it started. I don't understand it, but it worked!
As for the car not shifting into neutral while it's without power - I still think that's ridiculous. I seem to be able to change other automatics into neutral without power. How else are you going to move a car with starting problems?
Haven't popped the hood since your last service appt...
Hope you just had car serviced last week!
You the same guy who never checks his tires, then rolls his car when he swerves with a half flat rear tire..so now all of us are forced by the Feds...trying to protect the unprotectable...they ignore all common sense in using products then sue when they hurt themselves!
to pay for and put up with "tire pressure sensing monitors"?

Modified by spitpilot at 2:51 PM 7-3-2007

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Okay, here's a little schoolin on Ohm's law.
Power = Voltage * Current
Power = watts
Current = Amperage
If the starter wants 30A at 12V to start the car, it needs to have roughly 360W of power.
Flicking the lights causes the battery voltage to drop. Let's assume it drops a volt to 11. The starter now needs a little more current to get the same power. This puts more of a draw on the battery but often works because batteries have deeper "impulse" reserves than constant power. That's why batteries are rated in both cranking amps and amp-hours.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (dokter stranj)

Oil was changed last month, and the AC compressor also broke 3 times last month. So the front end of the car was disassembled to get at the compressor, and VW probably broke the hood latch and didn't notice. I looked under the hood after the first couple of appointments, but after the 4th one I was just so disgusted I didn't.
I check my oil and tire pressure every couple of months, but I really don't need a lecture
I know people who never do it - find them and lecture em

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Did you check your Owner's Manual for instructions on releasing the gear selector lever manually? There should be a lever under the boot (at least the A3 has one) that will let you move the selector out of Park. Once that's done, you should be able to push the car or load it onto a rollback. The DSG apparently goes to neutral when Park is selected and the only thing holding the vehicle in place is the parking pawl in the transmission.

·
Premium Member
13,181 Posts
Re: (mike3141)

fyi, i have the oem nav, and when I accidently left the radio on (like you, when detailing the car, then was interupted by a phone call and forgot to turn it off), after a while, the radio shut itself off to preserve the battery. I'm wondering why yours didn't do the same.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
yeah same with the mk4s.. after about an hour they usually shut off

1 - 20 of 23 Posts