VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...as stated.
My lambda reads are as expected. Things richen up a bit in the upper RPM area and do it sooner over repeated runs.
I'd like to know how to be sure you're feeding enough gas.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Re: Is there anything other than air/fuel reads that can tell you if you need MORE gas? (Jman5000)

you prob already did this - Pull your plugs and see what they look like a good a/f meter is really the way to do it

[Modified by Prodigy, 6:19 PM 8-2-2002]

[Modified by Prodigy, 6:20 PM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Re: Is there anything other than air/fuel reads that can tell you if you need MORE gas? (Jman5000)

how much soot accumulates on the tail pipe, could show a car running rich. Really though the best way to tell is a/f guage. If you are running lean you'll see high manifold temps.
edit: I have no idea why I put egr there... fixed it.

[Modified by smd3, 12:35 PM 8-2-2002]

·
Registered
284 Posts

Really, the best way is tuning with a wide band EGO sensor. If you can't stomach the thought of plunking down $1,500 or so for a bottom-end setup (IE Blitz A/F Analyzer) you can use one from a dyno tuning shop. But not all of them have a wide band EGO sensor, and even the tuning isn't cheap with most shops charging $100/hour ($65 minimum).
But, you really only have to use the wideband once for a major tune. If you have an EGT gauge, you can note the EGT at your desired a/f and use that as a tuning target in the future.

·
Registered
31,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Is there anything other than air/fuel reads that can tell y ... (Miki Kanazawa)

Plugs are clean, tailpipe isn't sooty, EGT's (tapped south of turbo, so it's only a guide) are 1000 @ cruise, 1250+ for 100mph blasts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts