VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
according to stevelangford out of the 100 or so door cards he shipped out to people my doors are the first he's seen that are they way they are. i'll put pics up online but essentially what is different from the rest of doors he's made his CF look door cards for, my door card extends all the way to the bottom of the door. Whereas all the ones he's ever seen or made have about 1.5" of flushed, color matched door at the bottom.
you can see here in this pic:

my doors don't have that extra at the bottom, the door card covers all that up and goes right to the bottom of the inner part of the door.
any ideas?
oh yeah, it's an 84 rabbit gti.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Re: is there something funky about my doors? (dfinn)

My doors are the same as the ones in the pic. Also an 84 GTI.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Re: is there something funky about my doors? (4Rings)

That's a cabriolet door dude
What're ya trying to pull
?

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Re: is there something funky about my doors? (Speedemon)

Alright, the bottom of that door look the same as on my GTI.

I think what he's talking about is the fact that the GTI door panels extend nearly all the way to the bottom of the door whereas non-GTI or earlier Rabbit door panels fit inside the "lip" that goes around the perimeter of the bottom of the door leaving about 1 - 2" of metal showing on the bottom of the door as in the pic above.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Re: is there something funky about my doors? (dfinn)

Ive found that its actually better having the card NOT all the way down because when the vent was covered my blower became really loud from the air pressure. I would keep em the way they are..

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: is there something funky about my doors? (tomk1)

can't you just crack a window? plus i don't plan on driving this car that much in the wintertime. but i still think it's wierd.

·
Registered
10,053 Posts
Re: is there something funky about my doors? (tomk1)

There are little built-in "vents" in the GTI door cards to relieve interior pressure. At least this is what I believe them to be as they have a rubber flap on the back of them to keep water out. Kind of weird seeing as how I can never imagine the Rabbit to be so airtight as to need a relief vent.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Re: is there something funky about my doors? (4Rings)

My door cards go all the way to the bottom also. I have a late 83 that was built in July of 83. It had alot of the parts that became standard on the 84.....i.e. 120 mph speedo, trim piece between the front bumper and body, drilled and bolted vent windows, etc.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Re: is there something funky about my doors? (3VWMAN)

i saw in a movie one time this guy was fighting another guy and in the fight he slammed a door closed on his head. ouch!
i didn't notice what kind of door card the guy had. sorry.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts