VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know very much about VW's, more of a jeep person, but when I was changing the mufflers in my girlfriend's 99 cabrio gls 5-speed and I noticed there was engine oil or gear oild built up around the engine and transmission. I then noticed the passenger side axle looked as if it wasn't in all the way. There is a front end vibration over 60mph, and the wheel bearings seemed ok, so I was thinking this could be it as well. I have two pictures. The first is the drivers side which looked ok to me, and the second is the passenger side. The one that doesn't look normal. I'm hoping some of you VW experts can give me a hand on diagnosing this. There is also a long list of other things wrong with it, but i'd like to start with this.
Drivers side
passenger side (green seal looks like its popped out)

· Registered
13,748 Posts
Re: Is there something wrong with this axle? pics posted (hockeyplayer21)

That doesn't look like gear oil to me.
Looks more like motor oil, Check the valve cover (waterfall of oil on the transmission end of the cylinder head, and the top of the transmission), the oil pressure sender on the transmission end of the engine, the oil pressure sender down on the oil filter block on the front of the engine, and the oil cooler housing seal (located on the front of the engine between the oil filter block and the oil cooler housing).
Or maybe coolant. A common failure failure that dumps coolant on top of the transmission and the engine block is the plastic coolant flange on the transmission end of the cylinder head.

· Registered
14,525 Posts
Re: Is there something wrong with this axle? pics posted (germancarnut51)

your flange seal is normal

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.